• You cannot reply to this topic

Peak oil theory

#21 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Gl@eken @ Jan 19 2004, 16:07)
Yes I did. The crux of the matter seems to be if you believe we have reach the oil peak and so have no time left. I do not believe that to be the case yet and most seem to say the peak will be around 2020-2040.

Yeah, I guess that is the crux of it. Most of the reports seem to be saying the peak will come in the next 10 years though, some say it might have already passed seeing how production has fallen for the last 2 years.

Who are these other scientists who are debunking the theory? I'm not being argumentative, but if you have the links to the other side of the debate then please, post them here!

#22 User is offline   Phelan 

• Do you use Quake?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:14 PM

Look for the works of Thomas Gold

heres a link: http://people.cornell.edu/pages/tg21/

This post has been edited by Phelan: 19 January 2004 - 03:15 PM

#23 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:22 PM

Providing the Power of the Future
Starts: Wednesday, January 28, 2004
Ends: Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Professor Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith FRS, the new head of the UK's fusion program, will give a keynote speech, with demonstrations and practical examples, on the status and future for fusion research.

The realization of fusion power to provide safe, plentiful and clean energy for future generations is nearing fruition. The world is now ready to build a power station-scale fusion device, ITER.

This event will address ITER and fusion energy in general. An Oxfordshire Science Festival event, it will take place from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the John Adams Lecture Theatre of the Culham Science Centre.

Source

It will be interesting to see how fusion power and hydrogen power pan out over the next few years. Bush has just increased Hydrogen power research grants to 121% (Budget) while Toyota and Honda have just debuted fuel cell cars smile.gif

Fusion power looks promising though especially with the abundance of helium-3 in the solar system, hell if it's good enough for the universe biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by CrocodileShoes: 19 January 2004 - 03:22 PM

#24 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:23 PM

Interesting. Basic points, he reckons that there might be oil a lot further down, which would mean massive amounts of the stuff.

#25 User is offline   brutal 

• my love for you is like a truck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:24 PM

user posted image

What we need is Nuclear Power Stations, 1000's of the bastards.

#26 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Jan 19 2004, 15:23)
Interesting. Basic points, he reckons that there might be oil a lot further down, which would mean massive amounts of the stuff.

yes.gif

I've read about this briefly in other articles. Ther e are reserves at the poles too but extraction is costly and difficult .

What we need is Nuclear Power Stations, 1000's of the bastards.

That would work if we had a better way (or just one way laugh.gif ) of disposing of the nuclear waste.

Fusion not fission ph34r.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by CrocodileShoes: 19 January 2004 - 03:26 PM

#27 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (brutal @ Jan 19 2004, 15:24)
1000's of the bastards.

laugh.gif

#28 User is offline   Gl@eken 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Jan 19 2004, 15:11)
QUOTE (Gl@eken @ Jan 19 2004, 16:07)
Yes I did.  The crux of the matter seems to be if you believe we have reach the oil peak and so have no time left.  I do not believe that to be the case yet and most seem to say the peak will be around 2020-2040.

Yeah, I guess that is the crux of it. Most of the reports seem to be saying the peak will come in the next 10 years though, some say it might have already passed seeing how production has fallen for the last 2 years.

Who are these other scientists who are debunking the theory? I'm not being argumentative, but if you have the links to the other side of the debate then please, post them here!

I have no specific links though if you do a Google search on the question "when will the oil run out" you will get several hundred hits with several hundred opinions.
These range from opinions like the original article to opinions that Oil will not run out for hundreds of years.

My specific stated dates were kind of just around what I have heard mentioned in the past as likely dates for fossil fuel exhaustion.

Given I am not an expert on this matter I can not tell who out of the hundreds of opinions floating around on the matter is actually correct so I am not going to let my self worry too much.

Philosophically I come from the stand point that if I can do nothing about something that might happen even if it happened then I am not going to let that something worry me. What does worrying in advance about something I could do nothing about do but reduce my quality of life unnecessarily?

This post has been edited by Gl@eken: 19 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

#29 User is offline   Ferny 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:21 PM

Found article to be a little contradictory in places or maybe vague as is mentioned earlier in the thread. The following stood out a lot:

Humanity always adapts to challenges. We wil just adapt to this, right?

Absolutely. Part of that adaptation process will include most of us dying if we don't take massive action right now.

What About Alternatives like Solar, Wind, Hydrogen etc?

Unfortunately, it is too late. It would take us a minimum of 50 years to develop a food delivery infrastructure based on alternative energies. Peak Oil is going to occur within five.

What should I do to prepare as an individual?

Personally, I recommend the first step to be educating yourself about Peak Oil and its ramifications. Then notify as many of your friends and family as possible. Seek out like minded people and come up with some type of a plan.

Would the above be the massive action that is required? huh.gif unsure.gif

Have I not got a clue about what I just read? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ferny: 19 January 2004 - 04:22 PM

#30 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (TheRobster@Home @ Jan 19 2004, 16:23)
Pfft, what a load of crap.

There's loads of oil left.......it just depends how much damage you want to do to get at it.

What about the huge reserves in the artic, alaska, off the coast of south america, in the atlantic. china coast etc etc...?

Plus you can covert coal into hydrocarbons thru reformation. And there ain't exactly a shortage of coal in the world. dry.gif

Aye, tonnes of coal ph34r.gif

#31 User is offline   Fat Wangkhar 

• Massive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:30 PM

wow - we'd be rich again - slap open teh coal mines, lets take over the world!

seriously tho - I hear thats what SA did during their sanctions... coal into liquid gold... shame maggie and scargill didnt think of it...

#32 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2004 - 06:40 PM

The comment about the population reducing to 500 million seems somewhat far fetched. I would imagine there are more people in india and china alone that live without any access to oil or its products quite successfully (in a , "i'm alive and eating" kinda way).

the patriot acts did remind me of john Titor though tongue.gif

What's going to happen when recently industrialized China decides it needs what little oil is left as bad as the United States does?

World War III

you mean it doesn't already know it does? Seems like everyone else does, are they adopting an ill advised wait and see strategy.

What about other "Westernized" countries like France? Don't they need oil also?

We will likely be inavding or attacking France at some point as well. Several high level officials in the Bush Administration are pushing for a plan to force nations to "choose between Paris and Washington

ummm, what would be the point of that? do they have oil. Also don't they have about 200 nukes, a little risky to attack them.

I read it all and thought it was a good read, however, while i can accept the peak oil problem and such, i think all the other stuff is just scaremongering padding. As robster said, there is loads of oil, it just depends if you want the earth to look pretty or drive your car to work.

Who are these "top geologists" has anyone found them? i'm gonna google now.

#33 User is offline   pygmy shrew 

• Pretentiocity!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:30 AM

very interesting...things like that are good, wether or not they're true.

-Lee

#34 User is offline   Nall 

• I talk to the wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 12:11 PM

Maybe closing the coal mines was to reserve them for the future?

Also I remember reading somewhere that nobodys exactly sure how much oil there is on earth so it could run out tomorrow or in 100 years

And I do remember seeing something about the extraction of oil from wells.
Apparently the technology we use now can only get something like 3/4 out of the wells because they use the pressure thats down there to bring it to the surface, once the pressure gets to a certain point it just stops coming up... advances in technology or a huge vacum cleaner would mean we could get at the remaining quater.
If thats true, that only 3/4 can be got then that means really theres a lot of oil just sitting there.

Not sure how true all the above is... probably from some 1950's science program that they made us watch in geography

This post has been edited by JPJ: 20 January 2004 - 12:12 PM

#35 User is offline   Phelan 

• Do you use Quake?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (JPJ @ Jan 20 2004, 12:11)
Maybe closing the coal mines was to reserve them for the future?

{Skeptic} Yea cos our governments are reknowned for making sacrifices now to reap benefits in the future. {/skeptic} biggrin.gif

#36 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (JPJ @ Jan 20 2004, 12:11)
Also I remember reading somewhere that nobodys exactly sure how much oil there is on earth so it could run out tomorrow or in 100 years.

Well maybe not tomorrow - there's enough proven oil reserves to last for a good 10-20 years yet. Unless OPEC decide they don't wanna sell it anymore.

In 100 years time I imagine there won't be a right lot left tho.

#37 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:36 PM

Don't forget, it's not about reserves, its about the peak output of production.

#38 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Jan 20 2004, 16:36)
Don't forget, it's not about reserves, its about the peak output of production.

Aye I know. There's a whole economic side to this which I see as being the main problem (assuming that there is a problem).

I dunno what the effect of, say, doubling oil prices would be due to oil scarcity but I can't imagine it being good (world-wide recession?). unsure.gif

This post has been edited by TheRobster: 16 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

#39 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 05:37 PM

But that's exactly it, not directed at you in particular rob.

Say the oil has got 50 years left (which is more than the US govt predicts, and thy're not going to be optimistic are they) - production starts to dwindle over time, the price of it goes up. Everything's fine - petrol prices go up and we all get pissed off. The less that is produced, the higher the price.

Then food prices go up. In fact, everything that requires transport/delivery goes up. The food starts to cost more to make, let alone deliver.

So in 30 years, if another energy source isnt developed, the cost of almost everything will have risen dramatically. Will you be able to get to work, eat, anything? I for one find it very scary.

Although I am a bit of a conspiracy nerd.

#40 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 05:49 PM

Xfiles ohmy.gif

SCULLY: You cheated them out of life by promising them prosperity when the only possible reward was death.

DR. WU: In my belief, death is nothing to be feared. It's merely a stage of transition but life without hope -- now, that's living hell. So, hope was my gift to these men. I don't expect you to understand.

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users