• You cannot reply to this topic

Peak oil theory

#41 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:12 PM

Yus.

Although it's the lizards that really freak me out.

#42 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Jan 20 2004, 17:37)
But that's exactly it, not directed at you in particular rob.

Say the oil has got 50 years left (which is more than the US govt predicts, and thy're not going to be optimistic are they) - production starts to dwindle over time, the price of it goes up. Everything's fine - petrol prices go up and we all get pissed off. The less that is produced, the higher the price.

Then food prices go up. In fact, everything that requires transport/delivery goes up. The food starts to cost more to make, let alone deliver.

So in 30 years, if another energy source isnt developed, the cost of almost everything will have risen dramatically. Will you be able to get to work, eat, anything? I for one find it very scary.

Although I am a bit of a conspiracy nerd.

Well okay there will be major problems if, in 50 years time, we haven't done anything to replace our reliance on fossil fuels.

But lots of things are being done - all sorts of energy alternatives are being looked into. And it is possible to run cars/vans/trucks/etc on things other than petrol i.e. Brazil runs about 95% of it's vehicles on methanol which they get by refining sugar beet. All of which is grown in their own country.

If the shit hits the fan then I have some faith we will have plans in place to deal with it. If it hits the fan now, then we will have problems. If it hits the fan in 50 years (as is predicted) then that gives us enough time to prepare for it and have other sources of energy ready as replacements.

#43 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

The oil companies have all the new energy technologies anyway, bought up so no one could screw them out of their oil profits.

#44 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Jan 20 2004, 21:41)
The oil companies have all the new energy technologies anyway, bought up so no one could screw them out of their oil profits.

...and I imagine once fossil fuels start to become scarce and uneconomic they will roll out the new technologies as replacements.

The problem I see with the original post is that it states that the Governments of the World and the people in charge of the energy industry know that, if we carry on the way we are, we are all feked but that they are doing nothing about it.

I find this very hard to believe. I don't think they would just sit there and do nothing. And the guys statement that it is to late to do anything about it anyway is just bollox. It is perfectly possible to power the world using other sources and not just fossil fuels. With a combination of nuclear power, wind, solar, tidal, hydroelectric, fusion(?), hydrogen, biomass generators etc etc... we could do it.

It would take a lot of investment to set the infrastructure, but when the only other choice is 'World War III' then really there is no choice.

But whoever wrote the original article is saying that the people capable of doing something about it would rather just sit there and see the world destroyed! But to what end? It makes no sense for them to do that since they would likely be destroyed as well. Sheer survival instinct would mean that they would have to do something about it!

#45 User is offline   FreedomFries 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

link

#46 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:26 PM

Links to links which link to this link............. blink.gif

#47 User is offline   Wintermute 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (TheRobster@Home @ Jan 21 2004, 10:15)
But whoever wrote the original article is saying that the people capable of doing something about it would rather just sit there and see the world destroyed! But to what end?

Well it's going to take quite a bit of money for them all to relocate to mars, can't be wasting it on the peons tongue.gif

#48 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:35 AM

i'm don't see the problem with just using nuclear power if the peak oil problem hits

"A Nuclear Power Station In Every Town" is my new motto

#49 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (JoeyBananas @ Mar 18 2004, 01:35)
i'm don't see the problem with just using nuclear power if the peak oil problem hits

"A Nuclear Power Station In Every Town" is my new motto

You missed the point I think tongue.gif. You cant use nuclear power to drive your car, farm, manufacture....etc.

It's far more wide reaching that powering your hair dryer!

#50 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Mar 18 2004, 01:00)

"A Nuclear Power Station In Every Town"  is my new motto

You missed the point I think tongue.gif. You cant use nuclear power to drive your car, farm, manufacture....etc.

But you could use nuclear power to generate other sources of energy i.e. hydrogen.

#51 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (TheRobster@Home @ Mar 18 2004, 03:03)
QUOTE (DrWu @ Mar 18 2004, 01:00)

"A Nuclear Power Station In Every Town"† is my new motto

But you could use nuclear power to generate other sources of energy i.e. hydrogen.

Yes, and hydrogen will make the fertilisers needed for modern agricultral production methods im sure!

#52 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:01 AM

just convert everything to run of electricity cells.

My real point is though, that we can never really "run out" of energy or power while we have nuclear. Which btw, was my mine problem with that IF program last week. Oh, we've run out of power, build a nuclear station here?, nah lets build a pipeline from here to russia!!!

#53 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

Sigh, it's not just about power. Read the article!

#54 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:21 AM

yes, i realise that now, sorry tongue.gif

#55 User is offline   FreedomFries 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:34 AM

The point is surely what the fuck can we do about it given that any action taken is seemingly futile.

Well im gonna Sarah connor the situation thats for sure. Got my eldest on a karate course and get some Ray Mears in for starters tongue.gif

#56 User is offline   RodCouncil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (FreedomFries @ Mar 18 2004, 10:34)
The point is surely what the fuck can we do about it given that any action taken is seemingly futile.

Well im gonna Sarah connor the situation thats for sure. Got my eldest on a karate course and get some Ray Mears in for starters tongue.gif

LOL, thatís why Iíve got the Mears DVD pack on the shelf, havenít tried the Indian violin or bamboo friction technique yet, although Iím getting used to my Army rations that my housemate provides me with from his TA unit.

Survival skills are the way forward, or a decent job in the MOD, get yourself a bunker suite that way.
laugh.gif

#57 User is offline   Automatic_Sheep 

• Resident Yank
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:26 AM

Going back to Wus original article: the guy is talking out his ass on too many counts for me to take the whole thing serious imo. No sources, no names of experts, no dependable data and to many oddball inferals from questionable and unknown (to the reader) "facts". While he certainly has a lot of things right, I'd rather read a serious article than this dramatically hyped up drivel.

- he is either hopelessly out of date or simply wrong on a number of issues involving alternative energy sources.
- peak oil has fuck all to do with west coast blackouts, nevermind his immediate disclaimer: he obviously tries to tie it up for dramatic effect and to add to the fire of paranoia and doubt.
- at the rate of new oild/gas fields made available for exploitation and the leaps and bounds taken in deep sea mining research, reaching "peak" between 2004-2010 sounds rather like another pile of bull.
- his theatrical language doesn't make it easier for me to take it seriously
- the deathtoll is made up, plain and simple.
- his attempt to link (american) inflation to a possible peak is weak, at best
- "What about other "Westernized" countries like France? Don't they need oil also?
We will likely be inavding or attacking France at some point as well. Several high level officials in the Bush Administration are pushing for a plan to force nations to "choose between Paris and Washington."" Oh get fucking real you idiot!
- his attempts at advanced sociology ("collapsed societies") and his dabbling in darwinism are embarassing
- if he thinks the oil production curve has only to do with a peak, he's an idiot (OPEC profits, hello!?)

God, too much crap in there that's half-baked at the very best...

#58 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:26 AM

havenít tried the Indian violin or bamboo friction technique yet

now is not the time to be thinking about the Karma Sutra, you should be gathering moss and lichens.

p.s the indian violin sounds like a particularly interesting one!!!

biggrin.gif

#59 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:29 AM

What do you mean by "Die-Off"?

Exactly what it sounds like. It is estimated that the world's population will contract to 500 million during the Oil Crash. (current world population: 6 billion)

That truly is one of the most ridiculous claims to ever surface here

#60 User is offline   Fat Wangkhar 

• Massive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (DrWu @ Mar 18 2004, 10:19)
Sigh, it's not just about power. Read the article!

Thats right. Its about Oil. Unless you're talking to a merkin. Then its never about oil.

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users