• You cannot reply to this topic

Peak oil theory

#81 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Devilman @ Mar 19 2004, 10:53)
Didn't someone say though that we're (Europeans) causing less pollution per person that we were say during the industrial revolution?

Still a good point though, and probably true.

Yeh someone did say that but I don't think it's true. We might be causing less pollution here, in this country, per person but when you take into account a lot of our goods are been manufactured abroad then all we've really done is move the problem somewhere else.

I know that per capita we each consume far more energy, land and resources now than we ever have done, but these tend to be other peoples energy, land and resources (e.g. those belonging to the developing countries).

Basically...........no industrialised nation is self-sufficient. We rely on the fact we exploit the developing world for our survival.

#82 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Automatic_Sheep @ Mar 19 2004, 10:54)
nah, I think Rob and I just think yes a lot is going wrong...

Aye, yeh. I've been studying this kind of stuff for nearly 7 years. Might have learned a few things by now. tongue.gif

Actually, on the down side, one conclusion I've come to is that the Western governments really aren't doing that much about this problem. If anything all they are doing is trying to improve efficiencys (Do 'more with less') but it still doesn't solve the underlying problem which is that no matter how well you use a finite resource, it will run out at some point.

Unless of course their strategy is to simply buy some more time so we can be ready when it does run out. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by TheRobster@Home: 19 March 2004 - 12:32 PM

#83 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:23 AM

*Possible solutions to the oil problem*

Clicky

*Select quote*
Doug Kaempf, program manager of the Office of the Biomass Program within the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), said partnerships between industry and the U.S. government's national laboratories are essential to catalyze the emergence of a bioenergy industry in the United States and reduce the dependence on imported oil.

"The DuPont-led agreement is one of a portfolio of cooperative research agreements that combines the resources of the federal government with those of our industrial partners to develop biomass derived fuels, chemicals, and power," Kaempf said.

If think that if we are going to solve the oil problem then this is the kind of technology we will need.

I find it strange there's not a lot more investment in this kind of thing though, especially with the big oil companies' profits in the billions. It's not as if they a) can't afford it, and b) it's in their own interest to have alternatives. Unless they are researching this kind of thing but in secret. wink2.gif

This post has been edited by TheRobster@Home: 19 March 2004 - 11:26 AM

#84 User is offline   FreedomFries 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:29 AM

"The DuPont-led agreement is one of a portfolio of cooperative research agreements that combines the resources of the federal government with those of our industrial partners to develop biomass derived fuels, chemicals, and power," Kaempf said.

Unbelievable. Corporate welfare subsidies. It may as well say - "The DuPont-led agreement is one of a portfolio of cooperative research agreements that converts the money of the federal government into vast profits for an Elite segment of Industrial society."

Just another example to show how inefficient the market and free enterprise really is that these crucial ventures require shielding from market rigour and that most of industrial societies cutting edge advancements take place with years of public research and public money until they become profitable enough to be unshielded and adopted by Corporations to create there own profit. Yet the commonly percieved notion that the free market is efficient when unregulated is all we seem to get fed my our media.

This post has been edited by FreedomFries: 19 March 2004 - 11:37 AM

#85 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (FreedomFries @ Mar 19 2004, 11:29)

Unbelievable. Corporate welfare subsidies. It may as well say - "The DuPont-led agreement is one of a portfolio of cooperative research agreements that converts the money of the federal government into vast profits for an Elite segment of Industrial society."

Just another example to show how inefficient the market and free enterprise really is that these crucial ventures require shielding from market rigour and that most of industrial societies cutting edge advancements take place with years of public research and public money until they become profitable enough to be unshielded and adopted by Corporations to create there own profit. Yet the commonly percieved notion that the free market is efficient when unregulated is all we seem to get fed my our media.

It's just like Morgan on Alpha Centauri.

Stupid freee market master! Trying to tell him (as the Scientists) his free market economics were polluting the planet. Putting my alliance with Gaia fungus woman deidre under pressure laugh.gif

#86 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:18 PM

But you could use nuclear power to generate other sources of energy i.e. hydrogen.

Yes, and hydrogen will make the fertilisers needed for modern agricultral production methods im sure!

*cough* Haber process *cough*

This post has been edited by TheRobster@Home: 19 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

#87 User is offline   FreedomFries 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (CrocodileShoes @ Mar 19 2004, 11:58)
QUOTE (FreedomFries @ Mar 19 2004, 11:29)

It's just like Morgan on Alpha Centauri.

Stupid freee market master! Trying to tell him (as the Scientists) his free market economics were polluting the planet. Putting my alliance with Gaia fungus woman deidre under pressure laugh.gif

What a game!

#88 User is offline   RodCouncil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (TheRobster@Home @ Mar 19 2004, 12:18)
But you could use nuclear power to generate other sources of energy i.e. hydrogen.

Yes, and hydrogen will make the fertilisers needed for modern agricultral production methods im sure!

The haber process is the production of ammonia, my former career was a pharmaceutical research chemist.

#89 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (RodCouncil @ Mar 19 2004, 17:23)
QUOTE (TheRobster@Home @ Mar 19 2004, 12:18)

The haber process is the production of ammonia, my former career was a pharmaceutical research chemist.

Yeh I know that. rolleyes.gif

Ammonia is one of the main components of artificially produced nitrate fertilisers, with the hydrogen for the production of ammonia coming mainly from the reformation of natural gas (principally methane).

So......produce hydrogen another way and you won't need natural gas for it.

This post has been edited by TheRobster@Home: 19 March 2004 - 05:40 PM

#90 User is offline   RodCouncil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:40 PM

Fair one Rob, I just realised what you meant before you posted, good point.

and yeah, same problem with Hydogen production too.

This post has been edited by RodCouncil: 19 March 2004 - 05:41 PM

#91 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (RodCouncil @ Mar 19 2004, 17:40)
Fair one Rob, I just realised what you meant before you posted, good point.

Glad somebody knows what I'm talking about 'cos I sure don't most of the time. happy.gif

#92 User is offline   Automatic_Sheep 

• Resident Yank
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:27 PM

this could make true beleivers say "I told you so" biggrin.gif

Oil giant Shell signs Libya deal

on the other hand, shell might just be making up for their "slight" fuck up which has queen beatrix going ballistic biggrin.gif

#93 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Automatic_Sheep @ Mar 25 2004, 13:27)
on the other hand, shell might just be making up for their "slight" fuck up which has queen beatrix going ballistic biggrin.gif

What was that about then? Must have missed that one. unsure.gif

#94 User is offline   Automatic_Sheep 

• Resident Yank
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:29 AM

they had to recently admit that they screwed up in assessing the amount of profitable oil and gas ressources they have their hands on. Shares obviously dipped a bit and dutch Queen Beatrix holds a ton of em - she lost shitloads of money to put it simply biggrin.gif about 350 million euros laugh.gif

#95 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Automatic_Sheep @ Mar 26 2004, 09:29)
Shares obviously dipped a bit and dutch Queen Beatrix holds a ton of em - she lost shitloads of money to put it simply biggrin.gif about 350 million euros laugh.gif

Awwww, my heart bleeds for her.

Bet she's down to her last 100 million now. How will she cope?!?!!? unsure.gif

happy.gif

#96 User is offline   Automatic_Sheep 

• Resident Yank
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:15 PM

mebbe we should start a babblers fund for her? unsure.gif

#97 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

Just read a good and long article on this.

PDF

WE'RE DOOMED!

#98 User is offline   JoeyBananas 

• Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:32 PM

oil just broke the $40 a barrel mark!!!!!

#99 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (DrWu @ May 8 2004, 14:47)
Just read a good and long article on this.

PDF

Is this working right Wu? I can't d/l the document, only open it directly and all the page numbers are in the wrong order, and some seem to be missing altogether! mad.gif

#100 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:11 PM

Hmm...

Seems to be all there for me, I have to say. You can open it up and then save as BTW.

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users