Babblers Gaming Community: Story Regarding Seth Johnson and Leeds - Babblers Gaming Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Story Regarding Seth Johnson and Leeds

#1 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:58 AM

Went to a wedding on Saturday and was speaking to Mike Jackson [Preson], Kieron Durkan [Wrexham] and Chris Lightfoot [Runcorn, Former PFA Rep]. We were talking about Leeds, and they were saying that when Seth Johnson went into the boardroom to discuss his contract, him and his agent went in saying "Ask for 20,000, settle for 15,000." So they went in, and they were offered 25,000. "WHAT?" Seth Johnson replied, obviously shocked at how good the deal is. Then Ridsdale replied, "Ok then, 35,000" Thinking Johnson was unhappy at the terms. ohmy.gif

He went from 7,000 p/week at Defby, to 35,000 p/week at Leeds. WTF? He's not even that good a player.

I know most of you know that he's on 35k a week, but i found the circumstances in which they were offered shocking.

Then we took the piss out of Jacko's shoes happy.gif

#2 User is offline   Haguey 

• Slimline
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:51 AM

Yeah - right.

Although if that is true, then oh my god. And you're right about him not being a good player - but only at Leeds. Good player at Derby IIRC, but not worth 7M pounds and 35k a week. :|

#3 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:54 AM

It's not true, but it is a great story (and a very old one now too, but I'll let that slide tongue.gif). He is on 30-35 grand, but he (and his agent) demanded it, and we stupidly agreed to pay it. The men in charge thought he was going to be a world class player, and didn't want anyone else to snap him up with a higher wage offer. How wrong were they?

Not even Peter Ridsdale is stupid enough to up an offer by 10 grand just because a player says 'what?'.

#4 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:55 PM

It's not true

How do you know? happy.gif

but it is a great story

yeh tongue.gif

(and a very old one now too, but I'll let that slide tongue.gif)

i subtlely conceded that in the post tongue.gif

Not even Peter Ridsdale is stupid enough to up an offer by 10 grand just because a player says 'what?'.

He was stupid enough to naively predict the state of the club based on its "potential". You telling me you know this for a fact? wink2.gif

Basically, i thought it was interesting because of the circumstances in which it happened, or allegedly happened. Chrissy Lightfoot was a PFA Rep, so i know that he has strong ground to back the story. smile.gif

#5 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Mexes` @ Jan 20 2004, 15:55)
Chrissy

Such a Plastic Scouser laugh.gif

tongue.gif wink2.gif

#6 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (CrocodileShoes @ Jan 20 2004, 15:59)
QUOTE (Mexes` @ Jan 20 2004, 15:55)
Chrissy

Such a Plastic Scouser laugh.gif

tongue.gif wink2.gif

sorry. thats his name. blink.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

#7 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:01 PM

What Chrisssssssssssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tongue.gif

or it it Chris tongue.gif

I'm only baiting you wink2.gif

#8 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:02 PM

Basically, i thought it was interesting because of the circumstances in which it happened, or allegedly happened. Chrissy Lightfoot was a PFA Rep, so i know that he has strong ground to back the story

What Chrissy liightfoot is doing is listening to unfounded rumour.

He was stupid enough to naively predict the state of the club based on its "potential". You telling me you know this for a fact?

Yup. As it happens, I do. Or at least, I know what Seth Johnson told me, which wasn't what Chrissy Lightfoot told you, and much as I trust your sources, I don't trsut 'em as much as seth tongue.gif

I agree he may have upped his offer to 35 grand a week, but not on teh basis of a player saying 'what?'. do you honestly think any businessman is that bad? And his predictions, while wrong, were hardly unfounded. UEFA cup semi, CL semi... can't blame him (and the rest of the country) for thinking we weer on the up, can you?

#9 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (CrocodileShoes @ Jan 20 2004, 16:01)
I'm only baiting you wink2.gif

i know biggrin.gif

Master Bait0r innit tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#10 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:06 PM

Yup. As it happens, I do

fair enough, my bad blush.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

And his predictions, while wrong, were hardly unfounded. UEFA cup semi, CL semi... can't blame him (and the rest of the country) for thinking we weer on the up, can you?

it was still only potential though Sticky, you hadnt achieved success. You achieve a massive feat for the club. But based on those two seasons, where you didnt actually win anything, i fail to see how a "businessman" of that high a calibre has made such a dumb-founded and consequently poor decision.

#11 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:58 PM

Well, we're hardly the only club to have done so. Your club has invested heavily on the basis of 'potential' and failed to live up to it, as have others. We were slightly more stupid, of course, and i would enver compare Leeds to anyone else (apart from Sheff Wednesday, who made similar mistakes) but it's not only Ridsdale to blame, he's just the public face of it. Alan Leighton, the potential 'saviour' is as much to blame, as are the other members of the board at the time, who gave Ridsdale the opportunity to spend the money so freely. The board, not just Ridsdale, made many silly decisions: silly now, with hindsight, but they appeared only small risks at the time.

I've said it many times, but O'Leary is also to blame, much as he'd like to think he isn't. He bought the players, ultimately, and it was his desire for those players that meant they commanded such fees.

Bah I wanted to go more in depth, and later on I might, but I don't have the time atm.

#12 User is offline   wasted 

• original e-townie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

Oliver Holt of the Times tells the story slightly differently.

iirc, apparently Ridsdale put the first offer on the table through an agent the day before meeting Johnson. When the actual meeting took place, Ridsdale opened the meeting by upping his offer. Unsurprisingly, he accepted before Ridsdale even had a chance to think about it.

Personally, I believe it. Holts story basically set him out as a man who was so desperate not to be knocked back, to get everyone he wanted, to be seen as a club that could genuinely compete with the best in Europe, that he often made extravagant gestures as almost as if to justify that he could do it.

I'll try to find a link to it.

#13 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (waster @ Jan 20 2004, 21:28)

iirc, apparently Ridsdale put the first offer on the table through an agent the day before meeting Johnson. When the actual meeting took place, Ridsdale opened the meeting by upping his offer. Unsurprisingly, he accepted before Ridsdale even had a chance to think about it.

That's almost what happened, but it was Seth's agent who told Ridsdale that he might not accept such an offer, and asked him to consider a higher wage package; not necessarily that high, but certainly more than the 25 he originally offered. And as I said, because Ridsdale, thanks to O'Leary, considered Johnson a highly sought-after player, he had to make sure he matched any offer from clubs like Arsenal or Man Utd before those offers were even made (haseef they would have been). Johnson's Agent made it clear that other clubs were interested, even though they were not.

Of course, thanks to that offer, the other players at the club, even ones such as Ian Harte, demanded huge wage rises, and got them.

I hate football, and I refuse to discuss it anymore. Sick bastards are torturing me, piss off.

#14 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Sticky @ Jan 21 2004, 09:36)
QUOTE (waster @ Jan 20 2004, 21:28)

iirc, apparently Ridsdale put the first offer on the table through an agent the day before meeting Johnson.  When the actual meeting took place, Ridsdale opened the meeting by upping his offer.  Unsurprisingly, he accepted before Ridsdale even had a chance to think about it.

That's almost what happened, but it was Seth's agent who told Ridsdale that he might not accept such an offer, and asked him to consider a higher wage package; not necessarily that high, but certainly more than the 25 he originally offered. And as I said, because Ridsdale, thanks to O'Leary, considered Johnson a highly sought-after player, he had to make sure he matched any offer from clubs like Arsenal or Man Utd before those offers were even made (haseef they would have been). Johnson's Agent made it clear that other clubs were interested, even though they were not.

Of course, thanks to that offer, the other players at the club, even ones such as Ian Harte, demanded huge wage rises, and got them.

I hate football, and I refuse to discuss it anymore. Sick bastards are torturing me, piss off.

i actually feel sorry for Leeds fans. I'm not taking the piss neither, i do sad.gif

Sorry, i mean "Some" Leeds fans wink2.gif

#15 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:18 AM

Well, whatever anyone says about our stereotypical racist/hooligan element, our away fans are among the best in the country. No matter where we play, no matter the scoreline, it's our fans you will hear over the home support.

#16 User is offline   Mexes` 

• RETIRED.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Sticky @ Jan 21 2004, 10:18)
Well, whatever anyone says about our stereotypical racist/hooligan element, our away fans are among the best in the country. No matter where we play, no matter the scoreline, it's our fans you will hear over the home support.

hug.gif biggrin.gif

#17 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Sticky @ Jan 21 2004, 10:18)

Singing the same song over and over like a dirge.

Anyway, I hate football too. Damn it, damn its eyes.

#18 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

Oh no Harold's son has admitted that they've lost EVERYTHING!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users