Babblers Gaming Community: F1 2004: Jenson Button - Babblers Gaming Community

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

F1 2004: Jenson Button

Poll: Are there more podiums on the way for Jenson Button this season? (Dont forget to comment :])

Are there more podiums on the way for Jenson Button this season? (Dont forget to comment :])

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

WTF?

Button in 3rd place? In front of Barichello? Indeed! Perhaps this is the start of a winning streak for B.A.R. Button has felt fairly confident that he will make it in to at least 6th place in the drivers championship this year and was humble enough to say he thinks podium places are a little out of reach at present. But there he is, up on the first step. Granted the guy may have done some things in the past to have some people label him as a 'bit of a wanker' - but focussing on the track and not his personal life he deserves a round of applause.

Quite a race no? :]

I'm wondering however if Button's podium position could be attributed to Barichello's tyres, Alonso being fucked about by his pit lane, Panis and his bizarre incident with his pit crew costing him a drive through penalty.. R.Schumacher and Webber spinning out.. the early spin of the Jordon. Sato going out... the list of events for this GP just goes on and on.

Granted, reliability is a key thing in todays F1 racing but the question remains:

if the cars were 100% reliable and all drivers still on the track would you still have Button down for another podium place? Accidents and spins shouldn't be taken in to consideration as they can happen at any time at random :]

- Steve

#2 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:15 AM

I've been quite impressed.

He took a lot of the Wayne Rooney style build up by the media and had a good first season at Williams. This piled even more pressure on him to do well even after losing the Williams drive and being dumped in a BAR tongue.gif

He has had his critics after the last two seaons too but seems to have responded well smile.gif

#3 User is offline   Jimbo 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:20 AM

as long as he gets good qualifying times, and does well in the races, he should be fine, coz he's shown that both he and the car are capable of doing so.

oh, and engine-blowing kimi and fat-head coulthard have to fuck up too tongue.gif

#4 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (CrocodileShoes @ Mar 22 2004, 11:15)

He took a lot of the Wayne Rooney style build up by the media and had a good first season at Williams. This piled even more pressure on him to do well even after losing the Williams drive and being dumped in a BAR tongue.gif

He has had his critics after the last two seaons too but seems to have responded well smile.gif

k, so how far do you think he'll get in the drivers championship? :]

- Steve

#5 User is offline   RodCouncil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Snafu @ Mar 22 2004, 10:07)
WTF?

Button in 3rd place? In front of Barichello? Indeed! Perhaps this is the start of a winning streak for B.A.R. Button has felt fairly confident that he will make it in to at least 6th place in the drivers championship this year and was humble enough to say he thinks podium places are a little out of reach at present. But there he is, up on the first step. Granted the guy may have done some things in the past to have some people label him as a 'bit of a wanker' - but focussing on the track and not his personal life he deserves a round of applause.

Quite a race no? :]

I'm wondering however if Button's podium position could be attributed to Barichello's tyres, Alonso being fucked about by his pit lane, Panis and his bizarre incident with his pit crew costing him a drive through penalty.. R.Schumacher and Webber spinning out.. the early spin of the Jordon. Sato going out... the list of events for this GP just goes on and on.

Granted, reliability is a key thing in todays F1 racing but the question remains:

if the cars were 100% reliable and all drivers still on the track would you still have Button down for another podium place? Accidents and spins shouldn't be taken in to consideration as they can happen at any time at random :]

- Steve

Did you watch the race though, his splits were as fast as the others, he was competitive throughout the race until the last 8 laps, fatigue and nerves I imagine, plus the other BAR having an engine failure.

#6 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (Jimbo @ Mar 22 2004, 11:20)
oh, and engine-blowing kimi and fat-head coulthard have to fuck up too tongue.gif

hehehehehe.

engine-blowing kimi :]

- Steve

#7 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (RodCouncil @ Mar 22 2004, 11:21)
Did you watch the race though, his splits were as fast as the others, he was competitive throughout the race until the last 8 laps, fatigue and nerves I imagine, plus the other BAR having an engine failure.

'course I watched the friggin race! I'm just shocked that Button of all people came in 3rd. :]

I'll keep my eye on him as a potential drivers champion for the distant future..

- Steve

#8 User is offline   RodCouncil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:29 AM

Fair one, I was shocked too, more the car for me though, seems Honda are coming back also.

#9 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Snafu @ Mar 22 2004, 10:20)
QUOTE (CrocodileShoes @ Mar 22 2004, 11:15)

He took a lot of the Wayne Rooney style build up by the media and had a good first season at Williams.  This piled even more pressure on him to do well even after losing the Williams drive and being dumped in a BAR tongue.gif

k, so how far do you think he'll get in the drivers championship? :]

- Steve

Hard to say, not sure how the cars will turn out over the season, reliability etc.

If it carries on like this I don't see why he can't make the top 6, i'm cautious though tongue.gif

#10 User is offline   Juicey 

• deaN-
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:56 AM

I never watched the race so I can't comment on how he got to the podium, but maybe this is just the confidence booster he needs to get there more often.

I think it's fair to assume that he has the potential for the future, but he has a long way to go to match the skills and experience of his rivals. If the other racers were still in the race, Button would probably have been left down the field in 6-10th place imo.

#11 User is offline   biggy 

• Seriously Sexy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

BAR Honda did come out of the winter tests as one of the best, so for me it's not a great surprise to find him at that 3rd spot (also due to other drivers exitting the race prematurely of course) but gg none the less.
Can't remember last time a Ferrari dropped out of the race due to mechanical problems, not Schumi's anyways.

#12 User is offline   Haguey 

• Slimline
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:52 PM

In a race with no reliability problems whatsoever can he fonish on the podium again?

Maybe.

But it can only get harder due to the development of teams like Williams/McLaren etc. Although don't get me wrong, BAR could be one of the 'big four' come Brazil.

And get Fisichella in a top car ffs :|

#13 User is offline   Haguey 

• Slimline
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (biggy @ Mar 22 2004, 11:35)
Can't remember last time a Ferrari dropped out of the race due to mechanical problems, not Schumi's anyways.

Hungary last season.

#14 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (RodCouncil @ Mar 22 2004, 11:29)
Fair one, I was shocked too, more the car for me though, seems Honda are coming back also.

Schumacher has proven that you can take a poor car and turn it in to a lean mean racing machine.

If he performs well again, maybe he's deserving of a better car in the future..

- Steve

#15 User is offline   Haguey 

• Slimline
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Snafu @ Mar 22 2004, 14:26)
If he performs well again, maybe he's deserving of a better car in the future..

Williams?

#16 User is offline   Iggy 

• That makes me a saaad Panda. :(
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Haguey @ Mar 22 2004, 13:52)

Hungary last season.

Still managed a point, never finished at Brazil though, iirc that was a very rainy race. His last retirement before that was Germany 2001.

As for Button I've always liked him, his rain driving skills impressed me alot.

#17 User is offline   Haguey 

• Slimline
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Mar 22 2004, 16:05)
QUOTE (Haguey @ Mar 22 2004, 13:52)

Hungary last season.

Still managed a point, never finished at Brazil though, iirc that was a very rainy race. His last retirement before that was Germany 2001.

As for Button I've always liked him, his rain driving skills impressed me alot.

He said Ferrari, and the last time a ferrari retired through mechanical problems was Hungary! Barrichellos suspension sort of collapsed remember?

#18 User is offline   Iggy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

Barrichello always has car problems, probably because most resources are spent checking every inch of Schumcahers car.

#19 User is offline   brutal 

• my love for you is like a truck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Mar 22 2004, 16:44)
Barrichello always has car problems, probably because most resources are spent checking every inch of Schumcahers car.

at least spell his name properly you stupid flid, i know you don't like him but christ!

#20 User is offline   Iggy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:01 PM

I apologize for misplacing teh c before teh a.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users