Babblers Gaming Community: Liverpool Look Good Don't They? - Babblers Gaming Community

• 85 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Liverpool Look Good Don't They?

#1 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:00 AM

Opposition aside (you can only beat what's in front of you yadda yadda) they look like top contenders now. Strength everywhere, lots of options and 2 or 3 genuinely great strikers.

I think this might be the year - if not to actually win it, to at least be right up there as a genuine contender as opposed to an also ran.

Obviously, I hope not. But, let's face it, it's obvious. The squad is excellent, better than Man U - minus Ronaldo and Rooney they are devoid of creation in a big way.

I think it will be a 3 way race this year. Dare I say it, I can see Liverpool winning it.

#2 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

I'm trying not to get carried away! All I can think of about still is how annoying it is that we didn't get the 1-0 we deserved against Chelsea at Anfield.

I've been mega impressed with the new signings, and also the way the squad has been rotated and still gotten results. The manager has been criticised a lot for his rotation (although I read an article going into the stats, showing he really did it about the same as Ferguson and Mourinho) but this season he's actually got good players to rotate with. The plusses for me have been seeing Sissoko and Alonso deliver goals while playing in Gerrard's role, and the way that everyone is really fighting for their places in the team. I honestly think we've got the best squad in the league now, in terms of balance. My only concern is a lack of cover at centre back, I'm surprised we didn't get someone else in before the transfer window closed.

I said at the start of the season I thought it would be between us and Chelsea, but that Chelsea would probably take it. I really think we've got a great chance now. It annoyed me that I heard one or two comments from pundits about us never having a better chance of winning the title - as if the teams we're up against are somehow below par. Whatever happens this season, I'm excited now and for the near future.

#3 User is offline   wowacedude 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(OneJoelFifty @ Sep 3 2007, 14:39) View Post

My only concern is a lack of cover at centre back, I'm surprised we didn't get someone else in before the transfer window closed.

I think benitez would have no qualms with playing Arbeloa there if necessary. Although i agree i would have liked to have seen a new CB come in as cover....just glad we didnt re-sign pellegrino biggrin.gif

Its going very well, Torres is just sheer quality!

Oh and on current form, Voronin could be a shout for bargain of the season.

This post has been edited by wowacedude: 03 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

#4 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

Arbeloa has already filled in there, yeah. Still, with the quality available for all other positions throughout the rest of the squad, it is the one glaring potential weakness.

You can't get much more of a bargain than free!

#5 User is offline   wowacedude 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(OneJoelFifty @ Sep 3 2007, 16:03) View Post

You can't get much more of a bargain than free!

But hes not the only *good player* to be signed free this season, so he still has stiff competition.

*edit*

This post has been edited by wowacedude: 04 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

#6 User is offline   winston 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

I just dont see it tbh, its a solid squad you have there, no doubts, and you finally have some goalscorers. Im not a united fan, but i disagree with how many people have written them off already, i know its the age old cliche of English football, you must hate united, but lets be honest no one was getting over excited about their signings and squad last season, and look what happend there.

I dislike Liverpool fans thinking they have some god given right to win a competition thye never have done in the history of the club, just because they ride there luck in europe.

That said tho, it is the best squad ive seen there for years, so perhaps the best chance they have had of bagging it for years. Chealsea dont lose games often though, especially at home, so liverpool need to be on form week in week out to make the most of the extra points they have after chealsea lost to villa.

#7 User is offline   wowacedude 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(winston @ Sep 5 2007, 12:36) View Post

I dislike Liverpool fans thinking they have some god given right to win a competition thye never have done in the history of the club, just because they ride there luck in europe.

Theres a lot of expectation for us to win the premiership every year...but i think we all know why that is. I dont know one liverpool fan who thinks we have a god given right to win the league.

I do, on the other hand know quite a few who just want us to be challenging consistently, as befits a club with our history, and more importantly spending power.

Edit: Oh, and about united...nobody got excited about them before last season and they dominated the league with quite a few players completely excelling themselves all season. With 4 new signings who are hyped up, it can easily break down the team spirit and winning mentality they already had.

We saw it with chelsea, when after signing Sheva and Ballack everybody in the media thought they would win the league by an even bigger stretch and they actually just ruined the perfectly good team harmony and system they already had.

This post has been edited by wowacedude: 05 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

#8 User is offline   Krade 

• JabberWookie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

I just glad we don't have to rely on Caragher and Gerrard to carry the team sprit and drag the team up by making something happen, admittedly Gerrard did create the important goal against Villa. But with them both out the squad the rest of the players still look hungry and up for it. When all too often last season they looked to Gerrard and Caragher to provide the drive.

There's huge competition for place this year more than any other, the signings we have made in the off season have had an immediate impact when before it has taken too long for them to settle in. As long as he can keep the main players happy and the squad is motivated then I think this is the best chance we have had since Roy Evans came second.
Results have helped allot and it puts more pressure on Man U and Chelsea than it does on us.

I'm not going to say Liverpool are going to win it I still think Man U are the favs. It has to be closer then ever this year between the top Four.

This post has been edited by Krade: 05 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

#9 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(Krade @ Sep 5 2007, 12:34) View Post

Gerrard did create the important goal against Villa.

"lol"

#10 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(winston @ Sep 5 2007, 12:36) View Post

I just dont see it tbh, its a solid squad you have there, no doubts, and you finally have some goalscorers. Im not a united fan, but i disagree with how many people have written them off already, i know its the age old cliche of English football, you must hate united, but lets be honest no one was getting over excited about their signings and squad last season, and look what happend there.

That said tho, it is the best squad ive seen there for years, so perhaps the best chance they have had of bagging it for years. Chealsea dont lose games often though, especially at home, so liverpool need to be on form week in week out to make the most of the extra points they have after chealsea lost to villa.

No one thinks we have a right to win the league, but we're all quite excited about the way things are going! If you compare Liverpool's squad to Man Utd's, I think Liverpool have the better balance. Last season Rooney and particularly Ronaldo won you the title. Without the two of them playing, you've struggled. I'm not writing you off by any means, I think it's wide open and any of last season's top 4 can win it. I just think that when you look past your first 11, you end up bringing on players like Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea. Decent enough players, but they aren't going to inspire a victory when the team are looking for that extra something, are they. I also think you need to hope Saha stays fit, or not having a real centre forward could cost you before January.

I disagree about Ballack and Shevchenko with regards to team spirit; Mourinho just didn't get it right. Even if you have players of the highest quality, playing 4 central midfielders just isn't a good way to play. They might have been able to stifle the opposition and grind out results but essentially they were left hoofing the ball to Drogba and letting Lampard run around wherever he wanted. It was effective, but it wasn't good enough to win the league. I think if they'd stuck to their 4-5-1 and used a standard 4-4-2 for some less difficult games, they'd have been champions.

#11 User is offline   wowacedude 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(OneJoelFifty @ Sep 6 2007, 12:41) View Post

I disagree about Ballack and Shevchenko with regards to team spirit; Mourinho just didn't get it right. Even if you have players of the highest quality, playing 4 central midfielders just isn't a good way to play. They might have been able to stifle the opposition and grind out results but essentially they were left hoofing the ball to Drogba and letting Lampard run around wherever he wanted. It was effective, but it wasn't good enough to win the league. I think if they'd stuck to their 4-5-1 and used a standard 4-4-2 for some less difficult games, they'd have been champions.

Yeah, maybe spirit wasnt the best word to use there, but then again none of us know whether it was a factor or not.

But i was kinda saying the same as you, the balance of the team was affected, he tried to put too many square pegs in round holes.

#12 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

That is true Thumb2.gif

#13 User is offline   winston 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(OneJoelFifty @ Sep 6 2007, 12:41) View Post

No one thinks we have a right to win the league, but we're all quite excited about the way things are going! If you compare Liverpool's squad to Man Utd's, I think Liverpool have the better balance. Last season Rooney and particularly Ronaldo won you the title. Without the two of them playing, you've struggled. I'm not writing you off by any means, I think it's wide open and any of last season's top 4 can win it. I just think that when you look past your first 11, you end up bringing on players like Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea. Decent enough players, but they aren't going to inspire a victory when the team are looking for that extra something, are they. I also think you need to hope Saha stays fit, or not having a real centre forward could cost you before January.

I did say that im not a united fan actually, but your post made me smile.

"Last season Rooney and particularly Ronaldo won you the title."

I now have an image of Rooney and Ronaldo playing for west brom, and winning a title, which is quite a funny thought. tongue.gif

But anyway - i see what your saying, your squad has depth, and by the looks of things you finally have a goalscorer or two. Im all for Liverpool winning the title, if anything i prefer them over United, Arsenal or Chelsea, but i dont think you should get over excited just yet. United look like a team out of form recently, so one has to wonder the impact on the league when they find form.

#14 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

The time is about 10 games in isn't it? We'll see then. Liverpool have usually fucked it up by then.

#15 User is offline   wowacedude 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(DrWu @ Sep 7 2007, 00:39) View Post

The time is about 10 games in isn't it? We'll see then. Liverpool have usually fucked it up by then.

Try 2 games in wu tongue.gif

#16 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(DrWu @ Sep 7 2007, 00:39) View Post

We've normally fucked it up by now DrWu!

#17 User is offline   Mark 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Liverpool have probably had the easier of the opening fixtures but there is no reason why they can't continue their current form

#18 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Mark @ Sep 10 2007, 14:16) View Post

Liverpool have probably had the easier of the opening fixtures but there is no reason why they can't continue their current form

Not true!

Sunderland and Villa away (Sunderland beat Spurs, Villa beat Chelsea) and Chelsea at home (robbed!). Derby is a given.

Thumb2.gif

#19 User is offline   winston 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

Not true!

Sunderland and Villa away (Sunderland beat Spurs, Villa beat Chelsea) and Chelsea at home (robbed!). Derby is a given.

Thumb2.gif

You didnt really beat villa though, yeah it made me laugh, being a baggies fan, and having a villa fan in my front room during the match, but lets face it, gerrards a cheating wanker.

This post has been edited by winston: 11 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

#20 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

How did Gerrard cheat? He didn't go down, he didn't roll around. He just asked the ref for a free-kick. If that's cheating, then pretty much everyone in the league is a cheat. The fact that the ref gave a free-kick when perhaps it shouldn't have been given is besides the point. Then he scored one of the best free-kicks I've ever seen. Everyone makes it sound as though he dived in the area, got up and scored from the penalty spot.

Share this topic:

• 85 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users