• You cannot reply to this topic

Ufc / Mma Anyone watch it?

#1 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

It was awesome!

I'll hold off posting all my thoughts until I find someone to share them with...if you haven't seen it already then it should be repeating on Bravo.

Also did you catch 'Yarenoka!'? Fedor fought Hong Man Choi.

This post has been edited by OneJoelFifty: 30 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

#2 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

Okay well basically Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva finally fought, it was a 3-round war with Chuck taking the decision. Wandy looked rocked a few times and was backed up against the fence Ortiz-style but came back swinging, showing a lot of heart. Great fight, neither fighter went down in anyone's estimation. I did think Wanderlei looked quite small for a LHW though.

Georges St Pierre absolutely demolished Matt Hughes, out-wrestling him before making him verbally tap to an armbar. Hughes didn't manage to get a single takedown despite at one point having a deep double-leg. GSP is awesome.

Also, Lyoto Machida showed great ability to take down the much-hyped Sokoudjou (spelling?!), taking him down and dominating positions on the ground before choking him out with an arm triangle in the second round. I think if Griffin and Rampage weren't scheduled to appear on the next TUF then we'd see him get the winner of their title match. As it is it's not going to happen for some months, so we'll likely see him matched against another decent contender. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fighting Keith Jardine in March or April.

Also on the card, Melvin Guillard lost to Rich Clementi. They really hate each other, and after making Melvin tap Clementi told him to get out of the cage and to go learn Jiu-Jitsu, and that he was the better man. It was great to see some serious smack-talking after the fight, rather than both people expressing respect and admitting they were just pretending to hate each other beforehand to hype the bout.

In Japan the 'new PRIDE' Yarenoka! event was quite entertaining. Misaki got a brutal knockout over Akiyama, the Korean that greased himself up before fighting Sakuraba last year. After the fight there were some serious words exchanged on the mic, which I later learned were Misaki telling Akiyama he'd let down all the children and now he should fight to honour the children, or something. Fedor survived an early scare to record an easy armbar win over Hong Man Choi from the bottom. No big surprise there, but I really wanted him to lose.

Thumb2.gif

#3 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

The Fedor fight was a bit of a joke though. Did you see it? Fedor's not even a big HW, never mind 7"2. If he was actually any good Choi would be unstoppable. Luckily for Fedor, he's not. Awesome armbar, lucky to get out of the first one. I don't think Fedor was in trouble at all.

79 - decent event. Better than the shit that was 78 anyway. Gutted for Silva but he fought reasonably well. He didn't close enough, that was his problem. Then again, he was getting punched in the face really hard. GSP - fucking awesome. When he brings his game...top 3 p4p?

Predator got found out didn't he. He's very new though, I expect him to come back. he's not just a Houston Alexander type because he does have good Judo and a half decent ground game. In a few years I reckon he will be top competition. Machida...do you think he's worthy of a title shot? Bear in mind it won't be until December when the belt is defended, after TUF, so he's got a long wait. I'd put him in a number 1 contenders match with either jardine, Evans or Liddell. He's not fought anyone recognised as a top 10 yet, although him v liddell could be a counter-punch snooze.

#4 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

I watched the Fedor fight live yeah, my mate came into the room and I said "Look, Fedor is fighting. That other guy is huge. I expect him to lose by armbar though" and ten seconds later he did. To have a fight against the best heavyweight in the world and someone with virtually no MMA experience is a joke.

GSP is definitely top 3 P4P. Him, Fedor and Anderson Silva at the moment in my opinion.

Agree about Sok, he's going to be awesome. He's in a great camp with Dan Henderson and he's still so young - 23! Apparently...

I think with Machida's unbeaten record, his 4-0 in the UFC and the names he's beaten outside it (Franklin, Penn(!), Bonnar), he'd be a worthy contender were the title not going to be on hold for some time. He was really impressive. Like I said though, I expect to see him fight Jardine or someone along those lines. Definitely don't want to see him fight Liddell! I think they should really make Chuck have a few fights before getting another title shot, unless Rampage isn't champ anymore. Thiago Silva might be an interesting fight, I think he'll be one to watch for 2008.

Who would you like to see Wanderlei fight next? Why not Houston Alexander!

#5 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

I'd like to see him fight a tuffer - Jardine perhaps.

#6 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

But wouldn't it be horrible if Jardine beat him? He's a solid fighter, it could easily happen. If you want a TUF fighter, how about...Bonnar! Man I hate that guy. I'd love to see him get brutally knocked out.

#7 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

I can't see Jardine beating Silva though, he's like a poor mans rampage. liddell, contender for greatest LW ever, is one thing, but Jardine is another.

Then again. Serra\GSP etc.

#8 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

Then again, Jardine vs Liddell.

#9 User is offline   BillMillion 

• ;x :E :/ ;>
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

This entire thread is another language to me. But i'd like to learn. Where can I watch this?

#10 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

Bravo have a lot of UFC programming on. They show a program called 'The Ultimate Fighter' which was basically the same as boxings 'The Contender'. The 6th series is about to show. They also show the American PPVs on the Sunday night after they were live on the Saturday in the USA, and tend to repeat them quite a bit. I've also noticed a show called 'UFC Wired' appearing on Sentanta, which replays a few relatively recent fights (in the last 12 months it seems). You can catch other promotions and their events on the TWCFight! channel, but they often look pretty crappy and you don't get many top-class fighters on show.

I suggest you Wikipedia 'UFC' as a starting point. It's the biggest MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) organisation in the world, recently having bought out its main competitor, the Japanese company PRIDE. The recent fight between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva has been in the making for 6 years, with Liddell being a top contender and LHW (Light Heavyweight) Champion in the UFC, and Silva until last year being the champion at the equivalent weight in PRIDE.

News websites I check are www.sherdog.com and www.mmaweekly.com.

Thumb2.gif

This post has been edited by OneJoelFifty: 07 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

#11 User is offline   BillMillion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

The sum knowledge of UFC for me was making a documentary about Ian Freeman (an english fighter) nearly 7 years ago, lol.

I'll investigate further Fiddy Thumb2.gif

#12 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

Haha, Ian Freeman. What did you find out about him? My mate and I ended up talking to these guys the whole coach journey back from the UFC event in Manchester last year, and I was told by someone who'd read his autobiography that he's a bit of a wanker.

Good one. Any questions, post here! Thumb2.gif

#13 User is offline   BillMillion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

He was a really nice guy. He bent over backwards to help as I was only a student at the time and didnt have transport. He'd come and pick us up to take us to training with him and different locations for shoots. He was a gent. He get a bit bigger after that though so maybe the exposure changed him.

He ran pretty much all of the bouncers in Sunderland at the time and 'knew' people. He was certainly someone worth 'knowing' at the time, made queue jumping easier, lol. He was always playing that down though and didnt like being asked about it. He told some good stories about it off camera but, understandably, didnt want any of that caught on tape.

#14 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

Fair enough. I was told his book is full of "...and this guy looked at me funny, so I smashed his face into a wall twenty times. He was asking for it" type of stuff.

He fought in the UFC a few times, got beaten by future Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski Thumb2.gif

#15 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hold on. You made a film about Ian freeman?

#16 User is offline   *h0dGe* 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

I really need to start getting into UFC.

Not to fight, just to watch smile.gif

#17 User is offline   BillMillion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(DrWu @ Jan 8 2008, 19:04) View Post

Hold on. You made a film about Ian freeman?

Yeah. I have a copy on CVC, really.

#18 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Impressive!

If you want to get into it, your best bet is to download the last 3 or 4 events and watch them in sequence. After 4 events or so the same fighters start showing up again and then you have some inkling of what they're like as fighters.

#19 User is offline   BillMillion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

http://www.rts.org.uk/Information_page_+_3...&sec_id=547

Regional Student Award Thumb2.gif

I've got Bravo so i'm gonna have a look for the action.

#20 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

They're showing highlights of UFC 57 at the moment on Bravo! It was Chuck Liddell vs Randy Couture, not sure which of their fights though (they had 3). I wonder if they're going to show highlights of them all, in sequence? The next UFC is UFC 80, and it's in Newcastle this month. I think that will mean we don't get to see it for free on Bravo. I saw an advert for it a while ago on Setanta, so maybe they're selling the PPV.

Million, can I get a copy of your film?

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users