Babblers Gaming Community: Recommend Me A Dvd Or Seven - Babblers Gaming Community

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recommend Me A Dvd Or Seven

#21 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

We were soldiers
Pans labyrinth

#22 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Forget films, TV series are where the quality is these days!

#23 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

And yet you suggest none, well done Mark!

#24 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

True! It was a throw away comment http://forums.babblers.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/pink.png

#25 User is offline   Fat Wangkhar 

• Massive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Far North
Lebanon
Machete
Hobo with a shotgun
MicMacs
22 Bullets
Mesrine
Wasabi

#26 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

Schindler's List

#27 User is offline   zoiX 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

In Bruges
Enemy of the State

#28 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Conspiracy

Which is also now showing on sky Atlantic. I would seriously recommend everyone watch this film, it is very very good.

#29 User is offline   Grumps 

• Amasching
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

Sin City
Der Untergang

#30 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

View PostCroc, on 01 September 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

Forget films, TV series are where the quality is these days!

I find it difficult to get into television these days. Comedies and documentaries are fine, but anything else I just lose interest in. Possibly because, in my old age (and working in barely-above-freezing temperatures for ten hours a day), I tend to be ridiculously tired on an evening. Or drunk. Or both.

Still, if anyone can recommend a box set or seven (to buy) that'd be awesome.

Edit: some excellent looking recommendations posted above, thanks peeps.

This post has been edited by Sticky: 03 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

#31 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostzoiX, on 01 September 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

In Bruges

One of my favourite films! And the reason I took the wife to Bruges earlier this year (just so I could walk round saying "They're filming midgets!" in my finest Irish accent). Awesome place - mega expensive though. My first Belgian pint was six and a half quid. :coolface:

#32 User is offline   Zara 

• Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

In Bruges is excellent. And TV series to watch are:

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Borgias
Boardwalk Empire
Mad Men

#33 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Awesome I think I downloaded the first episode of Boardwalk Empire, loved it, then forgot all about it. Definitely one for me to purchase. I'll look at the others now.

While we're here (and I know it's not DVD or TV related but seems pointless starting a new thread for such a similar question), do I purchase fallout3 or fallout new vegas? Both around same price.

#34 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Vegas is the follow-up. I imagine the plot and atmosphere would benefit from having played the first one. I never played the second one though.

http://forums.babblers.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/coolface.png

#35 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

Nice one Croc, I wasn't sure if New Vegas was out first or not (no idea if I'll even enjoy either game, but reviews look positive). Only just got Modern Warfare 2 as well. :coolface:

#36 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Fallout3 was good!

#37 User is offline   zoiX 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

There's so many classics that its quite difficult to suggest ones that you might like as well as ones that you haven't seen before. I mean, I was reading through the recommendations here, and sort of laughed at Rob suggesting Schindler's list as a movie that someone needed reminded of. Its THAT famous. But I guess just because its so iconic and famous doesn't mean you've seen it - my own example being that I've been meaning to sit down and watch The Deer Hunter for years and just haven't got around to it . A movie like that is so unbelievably well known that you wouldn't really think of insulting someone's intelligence by suggesting they haven't heard of it and need to look it up. So the reason films like the Godfather, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Once Upon a Time In the West, Raging Bull, Die Hard, The Great Escape, Top Gun :coolface: , Terminator 2, Jaws, etc etc etc haven't been mentioned been mentioned is because they're kind of too famous to miss. If they have an A-Z library of movies on this Tesco movie thingy, flick through it for a while. You're definitely going to find super-famous, iconic, "unmissable" movies lurking there that you've not yet seen.

These ones are well known movies, but I'm not sure if they're so well known that suggesting them would be silly. Sorry if they are!

The Sting - If you ever saw that TV show on the BBC "Hustle", its basically a post "Oceans 11" heist style program full of con men and that attempted upbeat jazzy soundtrack that's tainted nearly every post-11 heist thing. The entire series did in god knows how many episodes what this film did in 2 hours, which sort of took away from the plot a lot. Its got Paul Newman and a young looking Robert Redford in it. 10 Oscar Nominations, 7 wins, and its not in anyway the overly dramatic Oscar bait - its just a pretty cool lighthearted crime film. That song "The Entertainer" that was everyone's Nokia ringtone like 10 years ago, was popularised by this film. I bought this on DVD for a tenner years and years ago, and I'm really glad I came across it.

The French Connection - A crime thriller about police trying to stop drug traffickers. Gene Hackman won best actor and made a name for himself with this.

Bullitt - Steve McQueen, being ridiculously cool. Lalo Schifrin's massively famous theme tune. It made the Ford Mustang famous in another very famous car chase. Loner cop movie, very good.

Hunt For Red October - Cold War submarine movie about everyone trying to kill Sean Connery and the stealthy nuclear death-engine he's riding round in. Based on a Tom Clancy book, directed by John McTiernan just after he did Die Hard. I love it, but I have an obsession with submarine movies.

A friend and I were discussing the other day that most movies made today are for the largest part, very disposable entertainment that is made for nothing other than the profit it'll bring in. So I'll try and think up a few more pre 2000 movies - hopefully find a few that you might want to buy on DVD even though you rented it before.

#38 User is offline   Deadly Chicken 

• Buk Buk motherf**ker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:36 AM

if you are going old school, then you gotta make sure you have watched "cool hand Luke"

#39 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Papillon - I love this film.
The Host - South Korean Monster Flick, some dodgy CGI but a good film.
Ronin - Awesome Car Chases!
Mystic River - Probably my favorite film directed by Clint Eastwood.

:hurr:

This post has been edited by Jackfrost: 06 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

#40 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

View PostzoiX, on 06 September 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

I was reading through the recommendations here, and sort of laughed at Rob suggesting Schindler's list as a movie that someone needed reminded of. Its THAT famous. But I guess just because its so iconic and famous doesn't mean you've seen it - my own example being that I've been meaning to sit down and watch The Deer Hunter for years and just haven't got around to it.

I only saw it myself a couple of years ago although I'd known about it for ages (I remember my Grandad having it on VHS for as long as I can remember). I've not seen The Deer Hunter either, it's another one of those films that I keep meaning to watch 'sometime' but never actually get round to it.

I'd give 'The Sting' my vote as well - I watched this on the off-chance without really knowing anything about it, it's actually quite a good movie given its age.

This post has been edited by TheRobster: 06 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users