Babblers Gaming Community: Swtor Useful Links - Babblers Gaming Community

• 3 Pages +

Swtor Useful Links Sites, tools and guides.

#1 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'll get the ball rolling:
Datacron location list

Datacrons are part of the codex system in Star Wars The Old Republic. They are placed throughout the worlds for the players to find, usually in hard to reach places. As a reward for this exploration ingenuity, if a player successfully reaches and interacts with certain datacrons, one of the player's character stats will be increased -- permanently

couple of links on the crafting side...

http://www.theoldrep...n-and-crafting/

http://www.theoldrep...g-skills-guide/
---------------------------------------------------
http://beta.knotor.com/
http://www.torhead.com/

Best forums i've found so far is www.sithwarrior.com and http://exvotos.com/ which looks to be the elisitjerks equivalent(theorycrafting and min/maxing stuff).

Talent Calculators based off the last Beta;

Talent Calcs

Decent SWTOR Wiki site;

ToR Wiki

Edit: Upon further inspection some of it is woefully lacking. Use it for Classes/Abilities and details on planets etc.

It's difficult to find anything of substance out there due to the nature of things not being finalised yet, but a lot of good snippets can be found on:

'Torsyndicate'. For every useful link there (For instance, this rather snazzy, and hopefully useful summary of crafting/skills):

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j388/thedrmarco/crewskillmap.jpg

...there's also a lot of dross and supposition at this stage, but as a 'hub' to other resources it seems pretty handy so far.

For those who are a bit obsessive, and who want to be able to read the background bits and bobs, here's a handy little guide to Aurebesh - the 'Universal Language' used in SW...

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j388/thedrmarco/800px-Aurebesh-GMSR.png

And although this may pour fuel on the WOW-rage that this harmless little thread seems to have generated, here's the obligatory '-head' database site, for all your SWTOR needs...

From the people who brought you 'Wowhead'

#2 User is offline   Jonno 

• Knock knock knock Pennył
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Thanks. Had no idea they were in the game.
Just done the Taris +Cunning one.
They have changed the path. The new path is much harder. Also, it has been reduced from +4 to +2. Not exactly op, but still a welcome addition.

#3 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Found a couple of these while out and about without looking them up, not huge boosts though, talking like 2 endurance for the one I found last night. Seems to be about 1 easy to find one in each starter area. Though I think there are 2 or 3 in each starter area in total.

I could do with some guide that says which crafting skills use mats from which of the gathering/mission skills...

#4 User is offline   FullMetalJacket 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

But gathering all of them must be a decent boost?

#5 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

couple of links on the crafting side...

http://www.theoldrep...n-and-crafting/

http://www.theoldrep...g-skills-guide/

On the datacron side I'm assuming that they are all fixed stats (the ones I've seen thus far all have been). So 3 out of every 5 will do nothing for you since (for example) aim does nothing for a sorcerer.

#6 User is offline   FullMetalJacket 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

True, but there are plenty of sub stats, and everyone will benefit from endurance and strength for melee users, cunning for healers etc.

#7 User is offline   Rumpaton 

• I love harps more than ant.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

http://beta.knotor.com/
http://www.torhead.com/

Best forums i've found so far is www.sithwarrior.com and http://exvotos.com/ which looks to be the elisitjerks equivalent(theorycrafting and min/maxing stuff).

This post has been edited by Rumpaton: 06 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

#8 User is offline   *h0dGe* 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

Talent Calculators based off the last Beta;

Talent Calcs

Decent SWTOR Wiki site;

ToR Wiki

Edit: Upon further inspection some of it is woefully lacking. Use it for Classes/Abilities and details on planets etc.

This post has been edited by *h0dGe*: 07 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

#9 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Dont reduce the game to a WoW-esque "run to here.. get this quest.. do this.. here's the best talents.. here's the best gear" with sites and guides all over the place before the game is even out publically..

Use yer noggin. It's not an overly complicated game but for fuck sake explore it for yourselves. One of my pet peeves about WoW is that if it was your first time running the game after the first wave of people hit 60 and got heroic gear - is that you were EXPECTED to watch videos and read up on tactics before running an instance. All you end up doing is following in other peoples footsteps.

Just installed WoW? Looking to play your first character up to cap and do all the raids/instances? Think you're gonna experience Onyxia as it was meant to be experienced? Or Ironcrown Citadel? Nah... not until you've played through half of Cata first to grind up to the NEW level of gear so you can go back and revisit old content - but you wont get to experience it unless you've watched a million spoilers on youtube, or run it 20 times before and know it inside out and backwards.. because the group will flame you out for being new.

Pleeeeease dont let that kind of culture emerge in SW:TOR.

#10 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

If you dont want to know then just dont read them?

Personally I'd rather read up and (for example) pick 3 trade skills that actually compliment each other rather than go in blind and then realise a load of levels later I cant get the mats for my trade skills and have to start on them again...

#11 User is offline   Writer 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

View Post[TCSUK]Ninja, on 07 December 2011 - 05:40 PM, said:

If you dont want to know then just dont read them?

Personally I'd rather read up and (for example) pick 3 trade skills that actually compliment each other rather than go in blind and then realise a load of levels later I cant get the mats for my trade skills and have to start on them again...

This.

I love theorycraft and i like to watch videos and be prepared for what we are attempting, i only hope that SWTOR will actually test us.

This post has been edited by Writer: 07 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

#12 User is offline   FullMetalJacket 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'm also the kind of guy that tries to read up on stuff, mostly because i dont want to cripple my self and having to redo stuff. As ninja mentioned, crew skills being one subject, and ofc also the AC of the various classes being a 2nd.
How to do raids or operations or whatever they are called, i couldn't care less about, i don't mind wiping a few times before we get it right.

#13 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostFullMetalJacket, on 07 December 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

How to do raids or operations or whatever they are called, i couldn't care less about, i don't mind wiping a few times before we get it right.

This.

I don't disagree with you that it's kinda useful to know which craft skills you should be researching, however I draw the line at having your experience spoiled by a complete rundown of every tactic versus a boss in a play by play fashion.

So no disagreement regarding trade skills - it's entirely annoying to research a trade skill only to find out you have something that's fairly useless. With regards to 'talents' etc, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to sit down for 10 minutes and observe all the trees available to your advanced class. You should know off the bat which way you're going to go. Level 10 is really where you pick your class and it's explained to you. In the case of the Consular/Inquisitor - do you want to go Healing/DPS or DPS/Shadow tanking?

I'd quite like to see the ability for some varied builds, as opposed to the state WoW is in.

What I mean is - if you go PvP in WoW, you'll usually take the third tree and there's usually only one selection of talents that allows you to be effective. If you go PvE - if you're a pure DPS class there's usually only one tree that you bother with. If you're a healing class, you have a DPS spec and a Healing spec (for most classes). Again, it's very rare that there's any room for experimenting in these talent trees.

There shouldn't be any 'filler' talents, there shouldn't be any talents where points are considered a 'waste' either.

Get what I mean? I'd like to avoid playing another MMO where it's a case of:

"Here is your character"
"Here is your role"
"Here is your standard talent tree"
"Here is your rotation"
"DO NOT DEVIATE"

#14 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

View PostWriter, on 07 December 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

i like to watch videos and be prepared for what we are attempting

This is silly though. Why would you want to just repeat what someone else has done before you? Figure it out for yourself... otherwise you're just following a set of instructions from someone who ran the content before you?

#15 User is offline   Rumpaton 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

That's complete nonsense. The hardest wow bosses would be near impossible for any "normal" raiding guild to down if it were based upon learning everything from scratch. Bosses like Vash would take about 6 months for a 2/3 night a week guild to down.

As for having to go a certin spec, there's always going to be a highest dps spec, most efficient healing spec or that which is basically required by a raid. There's nothing wrong with wanting the most efficient raid setup and only taking those that want the same.

#16 User is offline   *h0dGe* 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

As stated, the depth of the mechanics for most WoW bosses meant that people who play WoW as a career would have the time to sit and work out what was going on, formulate strategies and then apply them with adaptation. This takes hours upon hours.

Considering most normal people have Jobs and Social lives, these sorts of guides are excellent for helping the process along. It meant that 'normal' people who have commitments could see content, and even knowing what needs to be done the execution is a battle in itself.

Also as was stated before, if you dont like them, dont read them.

#17 User is offline   Miles Gloriosus 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

On this issue...

The game so far seems pretty self explanatory.

Anyone that didn't use the in game 'codex' function needs to give it a look. I dabbled a lot in crafting last weekend, and the 'Codex' bit tells you all about any given craft, and what 2 complimentary skills go with it. Gathering's also a LOT smoother than in SWG, for example, as it's done both in game (harvesting what nodes/lock boxes you see, a la wow), but also by your 'crew' - you can task your droid/companion to go off on a 'crew skill mission' and click - they vanish for 3-6 mins and come back with varying amounts of mats. So if you're questing, you can be gathering/crafting as you go.

While this will be a lot easier to explain in guild chat, to give an idea, I took armour-crafting, and was advised re underworld/salvage as my source of mats...so every 3 mins or so I clicked crew skills, picked a mission I liked, and off pootled my droid. Few mins later he was back with more mats for me. Schems drop in game (especially in 'flash point' or heroic quests), but there are also some profs (like investigation, treasure hunting) that can turn up exceptional schems.

If a few of us in a guild are a bit thoughtful straight out of the gate, we can optimise what we can make by chatting about what profs we're keen on, pooling resources and not overlapping the wrong gathering crafts too much. Uber gear, no hassle.

Anyone for a cartel?........

:D

M

#18 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostRumpaton, on 08 December 2011 - 08:19 AM, said:

That's complete nonsense. The hardest wow bosses would be near impossible for any "normal" raiding guild to down if it were based upon learning everything from scratch. Bosses like Vash would take about 6 months for a 2/3 night a week guild to down.

So basically the guilds that do it first are just better and more dedicated players than 'normal' raiding guilds?

....and thus more deserving of the rewards?

What's the point in things like legendary items when any pleb with half a brain can gain access to them just by farming justice/valor/honor points and then running the same raid a few times? You know as well as I do that a lot of people have been turned off by how simplified WoW has become over the years.

At some point, someone will have been in the situation of running that raid with no guides - they had to figure it out for themselves. Those guys are worthy of the gear and rewards they get for spending the time to figure it out. People who take the elitist attitude of 'YOU MUST WATCH TACTIC VIDEOS BEFORE ENTERING' are not.

We had a 2dps/2healer group on hammer station during the beta. Wiped twice on the last boss - on the third try instantly lost a dps'er for some obscure reason but managed to win it with lots of concentration. You compare that to a low level instance on WoW now and all you'll find is a twinked out tank who barely needs healing - dps'ers with damage coming out of the wazoo and a healer spending most of their time typing in /p - there are no moments to shine anymore, no holding your breath as the last member of your group looks like he might take the boss down just in time...

So why reduce your playing experience to doing precisely what someone before you has done, following instructions rather than beating the challenges yourself?

#19 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

Basically look.. walkthroughs are for when you're stuck. Solutions and guides are for when you've tried your hardest but just cant figure a problem out. If you take the attitude of following them the very first time you run them - it's like running through a point and click adventure from start to finish with a walkthrough.

At least experience it and wipe a few times before you give in.

#20 User is offline   Rumpaton 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm talking about endgame encounters, not 1 group shite which yes any few idiots can go in and work out.

Of course they're more dedicated, it's their life and in games like MMO's which don't require any great skill, just essentially knowing how to optimise, a brain and a lot of time, yes they are better. From your post i find it highly unlikely you went through the progression period of raiding and certainly haven't tried running a guild. The whole point of raiding in wow was executing tactics and the social aspect of doing it. WoW actually improved on the Everquest zerg style of raiding considerably, especially with TBC which was actually quite hard.

As for your last post, i think basically every guild goes in and "experiences" the encounter because reading a text version or watching a video really doesn't show you much. As i said previously it doesn't sound like you've tried raiding anything more complex than maybe a first boss.

This post has been edited by Rumpaton: 08 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users