• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Guild Wars 2

#1 User is offline   Zion 

• Yarrr there be treasure in them der forums
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has pre-purchased this game, searched the foum but didnt find any topics on it.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

It is an MMORPG that hjas no monthly fees just a one off cost for the initial game, the same as Guild wars that a few of us played a bit of. There are alot of improvements to the original (been a bit lazy and just pasted some of the faq in save me typing it. Unlike the original you can jump and the world is not instanced like the original, "dynamic events and the way the leveling works seems to be interesting

Will Guild Wars 2 have non-human playable races?
Absolutely! In addition to humans, players will be able to create, customize, and play a variety of non-human races.

•Charr—Ascalon's conquerors, the charr are ferocious, warmongering creatures--the intractable foes of humanity. Now, as greater dangers threaten their conquests, charr legions and their war machines prepare for battle.
•Norn—Towering brawlers from the frigid northern lands, the norn can shape-shift into mighty bestial forms. Driven from their homeland by a force beyond reckoning, they have regrouped among the dwarven ruins of the Shiverpeaks.
•Asura—This advanced race, possessing both small size and great intellect, once ruled the caverns and tunnels below Tyria. Now that they have risen from below, the asura aim to rule the surface world with their powerful golems and ingenious plans.
•Sylvari—Not much is known of the sylvari, save that they are a race of sentient plant-beings, newly blossomed into the world. The sylvari are the youngest of the races, bound together by a common dream and awesome power.
How many professions does Guild Wars 2 have?
Guild Wars 2 will have eight professions with very distinct playstyles and skills. We have currently announced the elementalist, the warrior, the ranger, the necromancer, the guardian, the thief, the engineer, and the mesmer.

How will character progression work? Will you be raising the level cap?
Guild Wars 2 will have the kind of extensive character advancement appropriate to a persistent-world RPG. Our goal is to avoid forcing players into the grind-based gameplay that too often accompanies a high level cap.

Also, to allow players the freedom to play together even if their friends are at a much higher (or lower) level, we are planning to implement a strong sidekick system, similar to that used in City of Heroes™.

We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without first leveling up characters, finding equipment, and unlocking skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment.

Will Guild Wars 2 be solo-able?
Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group, if you so desire. Most content will be designed in a solo-friendly way, though often with mechanisms for scaling up in difficulty when more players are involved. This will give players the option to experience the game however they prefer.

At the same time, it is important for an MMO community to join together to overcome challenges. Guild Wars 2 will feature challenges that require players to join forces.

Will players be able to explore underwater?
Absolutely! We want to make underwater exploration easy and exciting for players and eliminate some of the traditional limitations (i.e., drowning) to aquatic travel found in many games. The underwater zones open up exciting new possibilities and greatly expand the explorable areas in Guild Wars 2.

Several videos are already realeased, however the game has just entered the closed beta stage and the nda is still in effect, however i think the yogscast did a nice overview of the game so far

Yogscast guild wars 2 coverage

#2 User is offline   anT- 

• Aka Kamikazi Pnut!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yes, ofc :P

#3 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

yeah, have ordered it... got a mail from amazon saying it will be here on tuesday...

#4 User is offline   FullMetalJacket 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yah preordered GW2, D3 and TERA.

#5 User is offline   Red Squirrel 

• For King and country !!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Jesus, £50 for GW2? Suppose there is no subscription but even so ..

#6 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Was 42 from Amazon...

I've got D3 on order as well. Though not gone for Tera, they have just sent me some form of beta key to give it a try...

#7 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well GW2 beta this weekend, starts sometime tomorrow. Not quite sure how you get a code normally, but anyone who has pre-ordered gets in automatically. Client was quick to download for me.

Hadn't really been following it very much, but since I get to play this weekend I thought I'd have a nose at some information. Been going through the yogscast class vids, and I have to say a lot of the classes look very cool.

Mostly interested in this game for the pvp. It seems to have both instanced objective based warzones and big open area server vs server vs server battles. Watched some vids of the big world PvP and it looks really good, like the frontiers back in DAoC. There are 3 servers and the map has 4 areas, one each side where each server comes in and one in the middle. There are 4 or 5 levels of "thing" to take from camps that only need like 5 people up to full on castles. Also, the battles last 2 weeks then the match ups swap, so winning teams go fight other winning teams.

Note: Played the Tera beta last week, hope GW2 shows a lot more promise than that. Found Tera had quite interesting combat system, especially for melee, but the world and the quests and everything else was really bland. What is more, the only PvP is team on team deathmatch or openworld ganking....

#8 User is offline   FullMetalJacket 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Did the Titties online too, i mean Tera online beta too, and allthough the combat was great, i found it a bit lacking.

Got my beta downloaded for GW2 and will get to play this weekend too, look forward too it, also saw the yogscast videos (funny guys) and other vids, and the options are pretty impressive i must say.
I like how they restrict the number of keys being used, but make the skills behind the keys much more versatile and advanced. Just watch the elementalist which must be the one with the most skills to keep track off (4 types of element * 4 keys * number of weapons * offhand/MH combo) + traits choosen for the remaining 4 keys.

Looks great i must say.

#9 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

From what I've seen, other than the way they limit skills and the world in which it is set, GW2 looks really rather different from the first GW. Yeah the skills choice for each class seems HUGE. They also have broken the holy trinity with no healer class (though every class gets a heal of some sort) and no tank class.

It certainly looks very good from the vids. Guess we'll find out what it is actually like this weekend.

Only thing I'll miss from the first one is it all being on one big server, so you could meet up and play with anyone. Going to have to see if we can all get on the same server this time.

Yeah Tera looked to have one good idea (the combat) but didn't do anything with the rest of the game to support it. All just too generic and bland. Shame, I'll certainly not be buying it after having tried it.

#10 User is offline   Rumpaton 

• I love harps more than ant.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

I've not followed this at all but pre ordered it anyway, the world vs world stuff looks really good. The 4v4 or whatever instanced tournaments were brilliant in GW. I won't get to play this weekend which is frustrating!

#11 User is offline   Antronica 

• 22 6C 6F 6C 22
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

will get this, watched those yogcast things on youtube and the WvW looks pretty similar to DAoC which would be a good change.

#12 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

So who is actually in the beta this weekend then?

Sounds like it kicks off 8pm tonight UK time. If you get on first, stick a note up with the name of the server. We have got a vent server if people want to drop on and have a natter about it or drop on and team up. Let me know if you need the connection details.

#13 User is offline   Zion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

ive got the beta downloaded, i think its 8pm, looking from the countdown on the main site, no idea on world yet so many different groups of people i know are playing and nones willing to just name a server just yet lol

http://www.arena.net...in-guild-wars-2

the guest pass idea sound nice though

edit ive been told to play on Vabbi

This post has been edited by Zion: 27 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

#14 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Wasn't even on my radar till tonight. Ste sent me a link - it's DAoC RvR basically cloned (tho simplified [not a bad thing]).

Getting it!

#15 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Well after a few attempts to login I've got on and made some chars on Vabbi..

Now to give it a play....seems only 3 of the 5 races are available at the minute

#16 User is offline   anT- 

• Aka Kamikazi Pnut!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

I'll probably be going on Desolation server at launch. PCG and RPS are on there and quite a few other big uk guilds. Seems there trying to get that as the unofficial uk server.

#17 User is offline   Zion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

went to kourna after due to all the login/lag problems. Love the game but you can see its got a fair bit of work ahead of it

#18 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Really? I've not noticed a whole lot that needs fixing tbh. Though not played a huge amount and not got into pvp yet, that'll be tomorrow night.

They do need to optimise the engine though. ATM it seems to be using all CPU and no GPU..

I LOVE the fact that you dont have to queue, it just sticks you on an instanced version till you get into the main one so you can play straight off the bat. I also think the server idea is good. You pick one server and all your chars have to be created on there, but you can take your char and play on another server, the only restirction being you cant PvP on that new server...

#19 User is offline   Kazindir 

• Registered
  • Pip

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

Yep, been playing it most of the day and it's awesome - as Phil said the WvW is essentially DAoC RVR and the pve is a breath of fresh air as well. :)

ANet said before this weekend that this event client is going to be rather CPU bottlenecked, it's a known "feature" of this build.

#20 User is offline   [TCSUK]Ninja 

• vietnamese goat herder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Couple of notes from the weeknd (taken from an e-mail as I'm too lazy to retype)...

Have to say I’m very impressed with GW2. Unlike the first one it really feels like a true MMO, and all with no monthly fee! They had 2 really clever features, you have to pick a server and create all your chars on that server. But you can take your chars and play with them on other servers, the only thing is you can’t PvP over there. But basically means you can go PvE with any of your friends (the PvP thing is because of the big push on the world vs. world vs. world stuff and making server communities).

Also, if your server is full, rather than sticking you in a queue, you get on straight away but get put in an “overflow server” basically an instanced version of your server, so you can just start playing, and when a space opens up on your main server you get moved across.

Played 3 classes (eng, necro and ranger) and tried PvP on all of them. BGs are interesting, because they are all balanced, you are basically given a template. So you are level 80, you are given equipment and all skills. You still pick your build from the available skills so you are not all identical to people of the same class, but there is no gear disparity. At the minute there are only 2 BGs and they are both variations on 3 point captures.

The WvWvW stuff is different. It is done on its own map, well actually 4 maps which make up the PvP zone. Each server has like a home zone and there is one neutral zone. You cant run between these 4 zones, there are portals. But these zones are really HUGE. You are bolstered to 80 and your core stats adjusted, but you only have your own gear and skills, so its not all equal like BGs. I took and defended some towers and camps, but there wasn’t enough organisation to take anything bigger.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sold on the game, especially considering its no monthly fee. Its not all roses, they need to optimise their engine and one or two of the world event quest things were way over tuned (some crazy shaman dude repeatedly wiping about 20 or 30 of us on one of the events)

Oh, didn't even look at crafting.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users