Babblers Gaming Community: Article In The Daisy Cutter - Babblers Gaming Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Article In The Daisy Cutter

#1 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

I occasionally post to Bluemoon, City's forums. Anyway, I posted an account of my day last Sunday and the editor of the Daisy Cutter asked if he could publish it.

It's here if anyone would like me to bore them for 10 minutes :-)

http://www.thedaisyc...-football-hell/

#2 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

This is amazing.

Anyway, since that day Iíve carried a piece of wallpaper in my jeans on every match day, this Iíve clutched during every game.

that's the best thing ever, but the whole thing is quality. I love this story.

#3 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

That is perfect.

#4 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thanks fellas. Very cathartic getting all that out.

#5 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

I too enjoyed it and sent it to a few mates. They enjoyed it too.

Bit weird though. In a nice way.

#6 User is offline   *h0dGe* 

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Superb read.

#7 User is offline   zoiX 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Great read, excellently written, good job! It's an interesting glimpse into a mindset I've never really understood before, but it still doesn't really explain it.

I mean, I follow some sports, and consider myself to be a keen fan of certain teams, but the extent of the devotion you've written about is totally incomprehensible (Edit) to me. What fosters that kind of feeling?!

This post has been edited by zoiX: 24 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

#8 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostzoiX, on 24 May 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Great read, excellently written, good job! It's an interesting glimpse into a mindset I've never really understood before, but it still doesn't really explain it.

I mean, I follow some sports, and consider myself to be a keen fan of certain teams, but the extent of the devotion you've written about is totally incomprehensible (Edit) to me. What fosters that kind of feeling?!

Thanks Wu, Hodge and Zoix.

I find it difficult to answer the question. It's not like I run my life, or even mood, off Manchester City results normally. I have a sense of perspective and, as a supporter of City, I'm well used to decades of disappointment and let down. But this was something special owing to many different factors: the first time it'd happened in my lifetime; living in a city that's been 20 year dominated by an all conquering rival; fans of this rival being generally ungracious with their success/superiority and this going back to earliest of childhood memories; how much we wanted it beforehand, then it apparently becoming impossible with only 6 games remaining, only for it to become likely again on the very last game of the season. And then, of course, going through the whole season's feelings in a microcosm of 90 minutes...

It probably sounds strange to read it but I suspect the actual day wouldn't be so different for Hodge, Wu, Rumps, Writer, Sticky, Zara, Joel, Corc, Ax, Bill etc had the circumstances been exactly the same.

#9 User is offline   zoiX 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

It was reading this

At this moment I gave up completely. I started to tell myself that I just canít continue to take things this seriously anymore and that Iím a father with three young children and that I should focus on them. But how could I not take it so seriously? My life, my very identity was so entangled in City that if you take City away, what would be left?

that got me thinking about it. Its interesting how people can get so passionate about things like this.

#10 User is offline   Croc 

• Hexagonal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

I grew up with it from my Dad. I never chose to support Liverpool, I just always have. There is no beginning to that. I guess that, almost religious or tribal feature, plays a part.

I often consider how ridiculous it is though, and I'm not patriotic in the slightest, which adds a weird slant to the whole thing.

#11 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

I have to say I've never known anyone else to whom football matters as much as it does for Chris. If it was someone I didn't know, I'd think they were a bit weird, but as it is it wouldn't be Chris if he wan't as passionate about City as he is. I love that it means so much to him, but I'm not sure his wife does.

I'm passionate about Leeds, but nowhere near as much as I was when I was younger. I love seeing us win, but I'm not that arsed any more when we lose. It's happened so often that I have immunised myself against the hurt it used to cause.

Also, I'm as much a RL fan as I am football nowadays (more, perhaps), and the Rhinos have more than filled my win quota for a while. We're shit again this year, but we were shit last year and still won it. I only wish Leeds United AFC could follow suit.

#12 User is offline   Earthy 

• Silly Person!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:19 AM

Foooty, blah blah blah, what about kite surfing, sailing, windsurfing, swimming, fighting, rubbing our hairy man chests, nipple tweaking, kissing, hugging, oiling each other up, shaving each other, kissing, unprotected man sex.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users