Predictions 2012/13

#1 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

So. LOL.

Etc.

New season predictions? Slow burner for Liverpool, this season is a building excerise if the fans will allow it. I don't think Spurs will do amazing - Modric issues again and not sure about AVB. If Jelavic stays fit Everton should do well. Newcastle have a lot of goals in them.

RVP to score a shitload and give Man U a 6 point winning margin.

Wigan's time I feel. Reading to be found out and Norwich to struggle. Saints to stay up!! Villa to struggle all season, Sunderland to make top 10.

1: Man U
2: Man C
3: Chelsea
4: Arsenal
5: Newcastle
6: Everton
7: Libpool
8: Spurs

18: Norwich
19: Wigan
20: Reading

Given the squad and resources I would be happy with a top 8 finish from Everton. First 11 wise I think we are a match for anyone outside the top 4, and even then on a good day we can pick up points. Not many teams will relish coming to Goodison, particularly if it's a night match.

You? Predictions please and how you feel your team will do.

NO CHAMPIONSHIP PLEASE LOSERS.

This post has been edited by DrWu: 19 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

#2 User is offline   Welshy 

• Who are we? Jack army!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

1. Man U
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Newcastle
6. Spurs
7. Swansea :D
8. Liverpool

18. Norwich
19. QPR
20. Reading

You may laugh at my inclusion of The Swans, but I feel that we will not see any symptoms of, "Second season syndrome." In fact I believe we could be experiencing quite the opposite. Laudrup has done really well in Spain as a manager and can really see him breathing some fresh air into the team. We've still kept a lot of our core players and with the addition of Micchu, up front are now more of a force to be reckoned with. We managed to topple or draw with the majority of big names last season and see us going from strength to strength.

Bet Rodgers was kicking himself yesterday too. :)

I think QPR are screwed this year, especially if Hughes stays at the helm...

This post has been edited by Welshy: 19 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

#3 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Michu did look good yesterday and Swansea played very well. It was against QPR though who did look a shambles, but good on Swansea.

I think a top 8 finish is a bit fanciful personally. top 12 and safe with 7-8 games to go would be more realistic.

#4 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostDrWu, on 18 August 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

NO CHAMPIONSHIP PLEASE LOSERS.

:@

1. City
2. Chelsea
3. Man utd
4. Arsenal
(who cares)
18. QPR
19. West Ham
20. Wigan

Norwich's Leeds outfit will finish just above the relegation spots. Eden Hazard will become everyone's most hated player for being shit and falling over a lot and crying. Oscar will prove to be the signing of the season. RvP will sustain an injury and his form will disappear and everyone will laugh at Sir Alex the drunk, while Torres will turn out to be a decent signing after all and finish top scorer in the league. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Real Madrid will win the Champions League trophy.

(The Leeds takeover will finally go through, our new oil rich owners will spend massive amounts of money to get us promoted, and El Twatji Diouf will turn into player of the season.)

#5 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

City
Yernited
Chelsea
Newcastle
Spurs
Liverpool
Everton

Villa
West Ham
Norwich
QPR
Reading

Got to back City but I find it hard to call between City and United. Whatever happens I think there'll be no more than 4 points between the two sides. At the moment, should Aguero be okay, I still think we have the edge over United's squad but the window's not over yet. I don't think Chelsea are ready to challenge yet as they're in the middle of a rebuild and I have doubts over the manager.

Struggle to pick between Liverpool and Everton too. I'd have thought Rodgers would get better consistent results that Dalglish but I'm not sure if he'll buckle under a weight of expectation and lack of momentum. Everton, on the other hand, I think will have a better season - but if I have to decide between the two I think Liverpool with pip it, assuming Rodgers comes good. Newcastle I think are going to do well again; they look like they're going to take off where they left off and still look like a real team. I really hope they make fourth too, after the conduct of their fans in the penultimate game: clapping off City despite the disappointment of losing a game they needed to win too.

So many ifs and buts though; if Spurs get a decent striker or two they could be awesome and really challenge. Assuming AVB gets it right.

#6 User is offline   FullMetalJacket 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Chelsea
City
United
Newcastle
Spurs
Everton
Liverpool
Arsenal
Swansea (one can dream :) )
Wigan
Villa
West Ham
Norwich
Reading

Looking at the top 3 teams agian this year, i just think Chelsea will surprise and United will too (negatively), and City will run on cruise control for second place.
Uniteds defense will not be strong enough this season, and i think Torres and Hazard will be brilliant this season.
All top 3 teams has issues, but i think Chelsea will snatch it this time around.

#7 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

Too late to give my predictions? I feel like it's cheating having seen a few games go by.

1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Utd
4. Chelsea
5. Everton
6. Newcastle
7. Tottenham
8. Liverpool
9. Swansea

Honestly, positions 5-9 could be in any order. I think it's going to be very tight between all those teams. I'm not feeling positive about Liverpool given the current situation, hence the prediction, but I'm still feeling fairly positive about the future of the club.

Obviously very disappointing to let Carroll go and then not bring anyone in. With the current midfield, that I think could grow to be one of the best in the league (although losing Lucas again is a big setback), I'd have really liked to have seen Carroll in the middle with Suarez and Sterling playing either side of him.

People calling for Rogers to be sacked are idiots. I think he is a talented, intelligent manager and one of very few that has a vision in mind that goes beyond a style of playing, and the methods to implement it. I think he's a good fit at Liverpool, at a time when the club can't compete with Chelsea, Man City or Man Utd in the transfer market. This season is going to require patience. I'm quite happy with the signings that have been made, unfortunately they will find themselves under intense scrutiny given the performances of the players that were brought in before them. I just hope that anyone that doesn't hit the ground running, which is very hard to do when the results aren't coming, won't find being labelled a failure too much of a burden to improve with time.

Someone mentioned Liverpool fans needing to be brought down to earth, much like Newcastle fans were. I don't see the comparison. Newcastle are a big team in stadium size and fan passion only, that never challenge for trophies. Liverpool, despite the past 20-odd years being considered a fall from grace, regularly challenge for cups and have certainly been one of the most successful teams around in the past decade when you count the trophy haul. While there are always going to be fans that believe their club should be over-achieving every season regardless, there are also reasons to be positive about a club that finished runners-up in the Premier League as recently as 2008/09. That said, I haven't seen anyone on here being anything other than realistic about the immediate future.

A quick note on Dalglish; it was time for him to go. The owners had no option but to appoint him and back him after he picked things up from the disastrous Hodgson, but they were quick to recognise that it wasn't working out. The signings didn't perform, however I don't think any of them are bad players. Carroll was obviously massively overpriced. Downing suffered from a lack of confidence and has been ridiculed, partly as a result of others' poor finishing. I don't rate him highly though, even under Rogers I don't think he's nimble and quick-minded enough to blend with the rest of the attack. It will be interesting to see how he develops as a left-back. I still have hopes that Henderson can develop into a very good player. Adam has been labelled a failure but he wasn't expensive, and some of that has been recouped. The main criticism I have of him is that his dead-ball skills seemed to leave him the moment he signed. I think he struggled with the extra expectation of being at a bigger club.

I'm trying to be positive. It's great to see Sterling getting game time, and the young age of the squad bodes well for the future. Although the league is the priority, I'd like to see the club go all-out to win the UEFA Cup too. I think it could be a competition in which some fringe players feel less pressure and start to perform. It's going to be a testing time from now until January, but although the results haven't been good so far, the performances haven't been disastrous. One step at a time.

This post has been edited by OneJoelFifty: 06 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

#8 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Oh, and the three to go down:

18. Norwich
19. Southampton
20. Reading

#9 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus