• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cctv Systems

#1 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Does anyone have much experience with CCTV systems? I'm getting one for my mum and dad's place and I'm a bit bewildered by the selection. I'm after 2+ camera - preferably 4 - with semi decent night vision range for about 25m.

Basically the better I can get = win. Budget is about 500 - obviously less is good.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Deadly Chicken 

• Buk Buk motherf**ker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

just get a couple of thsoe dlink wireless ip cameras, they have motion sensor or full time capture, they can email or upload motion captures to the internet, you can monitor them from a smartphone over the internet.

and they are pretty cheap ?

I recently got a DCS-942L to test its suitability for a low budget security, its really decent imo ;) has night vision you shoudl check it out

#3 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

You're not going to get decent night vision with that budget, even high quality cameras do better if you leave the lights on outside. For that money you'll get a Swan recorder, or a copy of one. Just have a good think about where you're going to put the box and howyoure going to wire it. Most DIY kits come with the cables aready made up so you need to be sure the one you get will come with long enough cables and bear in mind you'll be drilling some pretty big holes - big enough to pass a BNC connector through.

#4 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well for now I don't have a few grand to drop on a system - that may change though!

I got a grade b unit with four cameras from Maplins that normally retails for 600. It's not brilliant but it really only needs to see about 10 metres and is more of a deterrent I suppose.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

http://www.costco.co...os_1.6.1/139536

http://www.swann.com/s/products/D1

That one looks good though - better resolution than the one I ordered...

#5 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

From what I understand 600TVL is more or less as good as it gets for cameras running over RF cable. The newer generation are digital and send the picture over cat5/6 cable. But of course they aren't in a practical price range.

The best thing to do to get better image quality at night is to either have external IR units or low power constant illumination, which is an added deterrent. I have some cameras up but tbh the dogs are probably the best deterrent to would be theives.

#6 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostDev, on 09 December 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

From what I understand 600TVL is more or less as good as it gets for cameras running over RF cable. The newer generation are digital and send the picture over cat5/6 cable. But of course they aren't in a practical price range.

The best thing to do to get better image quality at night is to either have external IR units or low power constant illumination, which is an added deterrent. I have some cameras up but tbh the dogs are probably the best deterrent to would be theives.

Yeh I was looking at externally mounted IR lamps if the cameras struggle to illuminate well enough.

The ones I ordered are 420 TVL. Maybe I should have gone for the D1 unit by Swann ? But by the time you mentioned them I'd ordered it.

This is the set I ordered (couldn't link last night the site was down for me)

http://www.maplin.co...e-access-593863

This post has been edited by King Phil: 10 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

#7 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Probably be fine. Quite short cables though.

#8 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yeh but long enough to reach where they're going luckily. The ones I looked at before were actually shorter or didn't even have cables included!

This post has been edited by King Phil: 11 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

#9 User is offline   Fluffs 

• Rob + Nat's Lovechild
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Laser tripmines ftw

#10 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Well got it set up and I have to say for 230 or whatever it was I am fairly impressed. Definitely good enough to see people on my property and I've got them pointing into the street and down my neighbours' drives (with their blessing) and it's good enough to see people at around 10m.

Certainly if anything happened whilst you were there it would back up your story and description no problem.

What kind of systems can you get if you spend a grand or more Dev?

#11 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

The low end of the professional stuff is something like a hikvision dvr and cameras. Cameras with backlight compensation are pretty amazing - they black out stong direct light like headlights so the image isn't dazzled. And to make life simple you can use 'baluns' so the 12v power and picture can be carried over cat5. They can also be used for serial signals for PTZcameras and controllers but that's getting into proper pro stuff.

#12 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

It's actually quite hard to Google the better stuff as no one seems to sell "sets" of it. One of those things you need to know what you're looking for to find it.

#13 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, its pretty much OEM to professional suppliers mainly. If you have to google for it you're probably a n00b :P (as far as they're concerned)

But you are are though.

#14 User is offline   Deadly Chicken 

• Buk Buk motherf**ker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

After using the dlink I am not sure I see much point in these special survelance systems. I have had to work on a couple out here, and they all use special hard disks that are much more expensive and hard to get hold of, And are as open to being stolen with anything else, leaving you with nothing.

The dlink has decent night vision for somethign so small, a clear picture, and can record and upload the recording to ftp so even if they steal your camera and sdcard, you still have the evidence :) the dlink software can be installed on an iphone or android and you can view live or any of the recordings it has on it.

and its a lot cheaper and more modular. there must be a downside, possibly the night vision is not as good ?

This post has been edited by Deadly Chicken: 19 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

#15 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostDev, on 19 December 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yeah, its pretty much OEM to professional suppliers mainly. If you have to google for it you're probably a n00b :P (as far as they're concerned)

But you are are though.

Yeh I know. I cold work it out but I may have to seek professional help - but I'm always wary of that.

View PostDeadly Chicken, on 19 December 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

After using the dlink I am not sure I see much point in these special survelance systems. I have had to work on a couple out here, and they all use special hard disks that are much more expensive and hard to get hold of, And are as open to being stolen with anything else, leaving you with nothing.

The dlink has decent night vision for somethign so small, a clear picture, and can record and upload the recording to ftp so even if they steal your camera and sdcard, you still have the evidence :) the dlink software can be installed on an iphone or android and you can view live or any of the recordings it has on it.

and its a lot cheaper and more modular. there must be a downside, possibly the night vision is not as good ?

Yeh and the distance viewing. Anything over 10m or so and it's hard to see right?

This post has been edited by King Phil: 19 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

#16 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostDeadly Chicken, on 19 December 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

they all use special hard disks that are much more expensive and hard to get hold of,

They do? Weird, I've only ever seen ones that take PC drives.

#17 User is offline   Deadly Chicken 

• Buk Buk motherf**ker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Yeh and the distance viewing. Anything over 10m or so and it's hard to see right?

not sure, mine is in a room at work atm for testing, and its probably only 5 meters square :P can see fine even in pitch black though (no windows in room at night with lights off ) I can test longer distances, but I think its a good choice get a few of them for less then you paid and get pretty good coverage.

They do? Weird, I've only ever seen ones that take PC drives.

They look like PC hard drives, and to be fair you might be able to use normal ones, but all the ones I have worked with come with Surveillance spec hard drives often they have the suffix SV and cost more.

Just looking up prices, and they seem to have gone down a lot, the last time I had to buy them they were well over twice the price of normal ones and like finding hens teeth. but it seems that there are a few more about these days and at much better prices..

http://www.seagate.c...ectronics/sv35/

This post has been edited by Deadly Chicken: 19 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

#18 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Every days a school day.

#19 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

http://www.engadget....1080p-security/

Swann just about to start releasing Ethernet models.

Looks pretty good. Expensive at first.

#20 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

If I was spending that much it wouldn't be on a swan tbh.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users