Babblers Gaming Community: What Would You Rather Be? - Babblers Gaming Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Would You Rather Be?

Poll: well?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What would you rather be?!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   OneJoelFifty 

• (y)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

1st Having ghosts does not = a worse place. It in fact = a much more interesting place, with scientifically proven life after death ;)

A more interesting place where evil things kill people. I don't think the ghosts in ghostbusters signify life after death, from what I remember the paranormal activity is caused by an evil entity that wants to fuck the world.

2nd if I can be a ghostbuster, I will be working for a company that holds every patent on every bit of ghost busting kit. no one else can just copy a ghostbuster proton pack or buy one in the high street. Sure google would eventually create something they claim is similar, but it would be like getting that big simple kid down the road to put out a fire using a butterfly net.

Also being a rat catcher would be awesome if you did it using nuclear powered proton packs.

But my point is that with so many cities, and therefore ghosts, you would need an awful lot of Ghostbusters to contain them. That's what makes it less glamorous. In the film, four guys were very over-worked containing parts of New York. You would be one of thousands of employees. Like I said, the novelty would wear off.

Go for a drink or two ?? .. as if, superheroes can never go out and party, remember when superman went for a drink. He sure had to do a lot of apologising after it didnt he. ONE time he went out. in a year or two when we meet up, I will have a wicked time, and you will probably have to 'pop out for a bit' several times to go and save some local loser ;)

Superman is silly. But talking of popping out; even if you're off-duty, what happens if there's an outbreak of ghostly behaviour nearby? Who they gonna call...

#22 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostOneJoelFifty, on 19 December 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

It doesn't portray that at all. Famine, genocide, disease, renewable energy crisis, global warming, war/terrorist attacks. These are all large-scale problems that could benefit from a bit of heroism. And you didn't address the point that introducing ghosts into the world, to facilitate the need for ghost busters, actually just makes it a worse place to live.

Okay, so as a superhero you're now a source of renewable. Congratulations, you're the worlds first human battery. Well done! Famine and disease, well - being able to heal people is a benefit. I'll give you that. Genocide... yeah you could just run around stopping war - but that combined with global warming really does raise the issue of you also putting unemployment figures up through the roof as entire armed forces are disbanded because we don't really need them anymore. Global warming fixed? No more weather girls, you control the weather like Storm. Nobody needs to watch it anymore, because you have it all under control.

That said, this isn't a problem if you abandon the concept of money entirely and start up the Federation. In which case your choices become whether you'd want to be Picard or Kirk.

I challenge whether or not they are both superheroes, but that's another debate. Not anyone could be Batman or Deadpool. Batman has many many years of training, a unique psychological makeup and a billion dollar company behind him. Wikipedia tells me Deadpool is the result of high level human alteration. By contrast, to be a Ghostbuster you need...what? It's a job, people would apply with a CV. "Oh, you were a fireman? Understand you might die? Great, you got the job!"

Super powers are elitist by nature. It's what makes them super. I'm not limiting anything, it's just how it works. Your Star Wars reference isn't applicable here. If you want to go start a new thread about whether you would rather be a Ghostbuster or a Jedi (Jedi, obviously) then go ahead.

Sure it's appropriate. You're basically admitting that you want to be better than everyone else and have some supernatural gift that makes you powerful beyond comprehension. It's penis envy, that's what it is. I'm happy being a ghostbuster.

I was further illustrating the point that a superhero is by nature 'super', whereas a Ghostbuster is just a regular guy with a job. I was not implying that. Putting nonsense in big capital letters doesn't make it less nonsensical.

I'm sorry but if you start to accept elitism and the existence of 'super humans' then you are a nazi. There you go, it's not in capital letters now. You are destined to be the very thing you hate. A genocidal maniac with a delusional vision of the future.

A glorified fireman who could help put an end to, say, world hunger.

How would you put an end to world hunger? Are you going to use your super powers to steal cows from farms and deliver them to hungry people in Africa? Or are you going to turn water in to wine and feed a thousand people off a single fish? You seem to not want super abilities, but more the ability to run the world and see put to rights everything you personally consider to be wrong. Again, you want to rule the world unquestionably by keeping everyone in check with your superiority as a super human - where as I simply want to play with big fucking laser guns.

Pew pew.

That must be in jest

Fuck off. Serious business

, so obvious is the contradiction between the "never a bad guy" Ghostbuster wanting to stop the guy that's just, say, helped provide the entire world with a source of sustainable energy.

But again, you would have to be the battery surely? Egon Spengler is quite capable of producing a renewable energy source. He just hasn't gotten around to it. By volunteering as a Ghostbuster, we can put his talents to greater use instead of cleaning up the undead.

You're welcome to her! Ha! Although you wouldn't have her either, unless you go back in time when you sign up and fucking her is some kind of initiation procedure. Or did you want to make this poll "Who would you rather be, Egon Spengler or any existing superhero?"

There are other talents amongst the Ghostbusters outside of Egon Spengler. You've got Ray, who's equally as talented for instance. I think you're really just clutching at straws here. You've already been exposed as being incapable of wielding great power due to your lack of great responsibility. Don't start mocking Sigourney out of spite man, that's just going too far.

#23 User is offline   Zara 

• Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

The Ghostbusters are fascists. Sure, they did some good work with that Osama Bin Marshmallow. But at what cost to ghost civil liberties? Sticking some poor, at worst misguided, ghost in the metaphysical equivalent of Gitmo for messing up a hotel is outrageous. The War on Ghosts has gone too far and eroded too many ghost rights.

I thought you stood up for the downtrodden, Steve. Now I see you're slightly to the right of Karl Rove.

This post has been edited by Zara: 21 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

#24 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostZara, on 21 December 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

The Ghostbusters are fascists. Sure, they did some good work with that Osama Bin Marshmallow. But at what cost to ghost civil liberties? Sticking some poor, at worst misguided, ghost in the metaphysical equivalent of Gitmo for messing up a hotel is outrageous. The War on Ghosts has gone too far and eroded too many ghost rights.

I thought you stood up for the downtrodden, Steve. Now I see you're slightly to the right of Karl Rove.

I don't have a witty retort for any of this. My sides hurt.

Well played sir.. Well played.

#25 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Here come the ghostralists again, oh poor ghosts - get a fucking job or least apply yourself to something more constructive than overgrown cooking advertisments. If they didn't haunt our most respected historical buildings we wouldn't need to control them. And the weird thing? Most of them used to haunt east european buildings but due to lax supernatural border controls here they are, all up in our tower of london and cathedrals.

I'm all for ghost rights, but the rights of OUR ghosts should come before the ones that come here looking for an easy afterlife.

This post has been edited by DrWu: 22 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users