Babblers Gaming Community: Laptops - Babblers Gaming Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   zoiX 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

So, I'm in the market for a new laptop. A few years ago I may have understood what the current state of the art was, however now I'm hopeless and have no idea about how much I should expect things to be costing, or even what I should be looking for. I know some of you guys are fairly knowledgeable in this regard so I was wondering if any of you could give me a hand.

Basically -

Need a new laptop.
Need it for uni work (which isn't going to be too demanding, but its for this reason it must be a laptop/portable)
Also would like to play the vidya, so it needs a bit of oomph (also would compromise between its portability and its capability, favouring capability. Don't want something with a tiny screen and a 20 hour battery life if it comes at the expense of power , only need it on the go for perhaps 2 or 3 hours at a time, MAX. Have a huuuge laptop bag, etc.
Not keen on all this thumbprint recognition gimmicky bullshit, inbuilt webcams, other useless features I'll be paying for (I appreciate they almost come as standard, but don't want to be paying for useless trinkets)

I've already been on the Dell website, and even though I know little more than fuck all, I realise that these are rather heavily priced. Saw another bit of kit in a PC world on the high street, an HP I think, that had nearly the same specs as a dell I had built whilst faffing around on their site, only it was little over half the price of the dell.

Basically I've got about a grand ready to go and want to get as much bang for my buck as is humanly possible. A screen of about 15 - 17 inches, a battery which allows me a bit of portability etc, and as much gaming power as I can ram into it.

Anyone know where I should be looking?

#2 User is offline   Rahr 

• Buttons!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

if it has to do gaming..

up ram to 8gb and 120gb SSD and add HDD if you require the storage. should come in just over £1k

oh yeah.. and you might want to consider using win7 rather than 8 but thats entirely up to you.. the cost should be the same. I personally cannot stand the metro layout for a laptop with a tiny track pad ¬_¬

This post has been edited by Rahr: 14 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

#3 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Are any of those okay? My mate got his laptop from CCL and to be fair it's pretty good. He actually got £150 off as he went to the shop and got an ex-diplay.

This post has been edited by King Phil: 14 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users