Babblers Gaming Community: Hilarious School Death Tragedy! - Babblers Gaming Community

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hilarious School Death Tragedy!

#21 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

They'll never outlaw guns over there, it's far too ingrained in the culture to be eradicated. I can understand people wanting to go hunting (big fan) and a part of me understands why people would want a gun for home defense (a very small part, mind), but assault rifles and automatic handguns are ridiculous things to allow people to own and carry around.

#22 User is offline   TheRobber 

• Cookie Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostAxey, on 18 December 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Actually, the Second amendment is badly written and open to massive interpretation: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Fucking lawyers.

That is why in 2008, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled on the issue. In District of Columbia v. Heller, the court struck down a handgun ban in Washington, D. C. Stating that the Second Amendment applies to both militias and individuals, the ruling established one’s right to keep a handgun at home for self-defense. So we basically have the right to shot someone and then asked questions later, in the case of someone breaking into one's home.

View PostSticky, on 18 December 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

They'll never outlaw guns over there, it's far too ingrained in the culture to be eradicated. I can understand people wanting to go hunting (big fan) and a part of me understands why people would want a gun for home defense (a very small part, mind), but assault rifles and automatic handguns are ridiculous things to allow people to own and carry around.

I don't mind them hunting either, sticky...but its those who have stocks piles of guns that are not used for hunting but for that exact thing. :/ I mean really who needs 47 guns..what purpose is it for, to have that many unless you are having 46 of your friends to come over, head for the nearest woods and having a massive kill on poor innocent animals. :/ I hardly think ones needs that many out in the woods hunting! Its a bit extreme! The deer populations are extremely down even thou people are convince the population is up.

#23 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostAxey, on 18 December 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Actually, the Second amendment is badly written and open to massive interpretation: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State

Sounds like everyone should do national service- to maintain a well regulated militia. Might not be a bad idea.

#24 User is offline   Krade 

• JabberWookie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Its a symptom of the insecurities the American psyche is experiencing at the moment. they are all shit scared and think the best way to combat that feeling is to arm themselves with high power automatic rifles.
There was less gun crime in the prec Civil war old west proportionally compared to today, the increases in gun crime in the US have coincided with the end of conflicts they have been involved in, the Civil war, World wars 1 and 2, Vietnam, Korea, Iraq ect.

How come countries like Sweden can give every one over 18 a free gun that they keep at home as pasrt of thier national service yet they have little to no gun crime?????

Let face it the Americans wll never give up guns, and what I find really weird is that supposed Devout Bible bashers will happily gun down someone stating their right to bear arms and defend thier property???
Does the American bible only have 9 commandments?

#25 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ing_controversy

Here's something that sums up America for me when it comes to guns. A man phones the police to report a burglary in a neighbouring home. He informs the operator that he has a shotgun and he will go outside and shoot the men if the police don't get there quickly. He says that thanks to the new 'Stand Your Ground' law he is within his rights to go outside and shoot the men. He goes outside and shoots both men dead, one in the back. The case went before the Grand Jury, and they cleared him of any wrong-doing.

Now the Stand Your Ground law is a seperate issue to gun control, but it says a lot, to me at least, about a culture when a man's instinct is to kill two men for robbing a neighbour rather than waiting for the police to deal with it. Says a lot more when the 'Justice' system allows him to get away with it.

#26 User is offline   TheRobber 

• Cookie Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostKrade, on 19 December 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Its a symptom of the insecurities the American psyche is experiencing at the moment. they are all shit scared and think the best way to combat that feeling is to arm themselves with high power automatic rifles.
There was less gun crime in the pre Civil war old west proportionally compared to today, the increases in gun crime in the US have coincided with the end of conflicts they have been involved in, the Civil war, World wars 1 and 2, Vietnam, Korea, Iraq ect.

How come countries like Sweden can give every one over 18 a free gun that they keep at home as part of their national service yet they have little to no gun crime?????

Let face it the Americans will never give up guns, and what I find really weird is that supposed Devout Bible bashers will happily gun down someone stating their right to bear arms and defend their property???

LOL I hate to say but I have no guns, so that must mean I have no insecurities then. I think you are referring to EXTREME RADICAL bible bashers as there is quite the difference. :P Nope last time I counted there was 10...but you can subtract even more then just one, if you think about it long enough.

View PostSticky, on 19 December 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....ing_controversy

Here's something that sums up America for me when it comes to guns. A man phones the police to report a burglary in a neighbouring home. He informs the operator that he has a shotgun and he will go outside and shoot the men if the police don't get there quickly. He says that thanks to the new 'Stand Your Ground' law he is within his rights to go outside and shoot the men. He goes outside and shoots both men dead, one in the back. The case went before the Grand Jury, and they cleared him of any wrong-doing.

Now the Stand Your Ground law is a separate issue to gun control, but it says a lot, to me at least, about a culture when a man's instinct is to kill two men for robbing a neighbour rather than waiting for the police to deal with it. Says a lot more when the 'Justice' system allows him to get away with it.
That one is crazy as it wasn't even his own house. I bet if the shooter was a guy of colored he wouldn't of gotten off like that.
As I always heard the person has to be in your home in order for it to be considered self defense and with the intent of stealing or to conflict harm. There is only 25 states that has that law.

http://reaxmusic.com...osened-Gun-Laws

This post has been edited by TheRobber: 19 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

#27 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

There was less gun crime in the prec Civil war old west proportionally compared to today, the increases in gun crime in the US have coincided with the end of conflicts they have been involved in, the Civil war, World wars 1 and 2, Vietnam, Korea, Iraq ect.

How come countries like Sweden can give every one over 18 a free gun that they keep at home as pasrt of thier national service yet they have little to no gun crime?????

Let face it the Americans wll never give up guns, and what I find really weird is that supposed Devout Bible bashers will happily gun down someone stating their right to bear arms and defend thier property???

I think it's thou shalt not murder not thou shalt not kill - so killing in defense or anything other than unprovoked murder is ok.

Apparently.

#28 User is offline   TheRobber 

• Cookie Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostKing Phil, on 19 December 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

I think it's thou shalt not murder not thou shalt not kill - so killing in defense or anything other than unprovoked murder is ok.

Apparently.

Also, they have taken religion out of everything, so therefore in their mindset...its justified to kill someone even thou its not so. :P I only kill spiders!

#29 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostKing Phil, on 19 December 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

No it isn't. Thats an argument to support things like capital punishment. 'Thou' is an anachronism and not correct either.

#30 User is offline   Zara 

• Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

'Thou' isn't an anachronism. It's just a word in general usage when that translation was done. Unless you mean that 'thou' is an anachronism in the sense that the word wasn't used in the ten commandments, then obviously any English word is an anachronism.

#31 User is offline   Rahr 

• Buttons!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

While i don't believe they really should have any guns it would seem quite hypocritical of the US government to ban them while being the world's leading exporter of firearms.

I guess its fine when people in a third world country shoot innocent civilians. http://forums.babblers.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/coolface.png

#32 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

It wasn't in use when the bible was written, it isn't in use today either, written or spoken. That's the sense in which its an anachronism.

In any case I imagine most Christians (and certainly all the ones I know) ignore at least one of the commandments regularly so it hardly matters.

#33 User is offline   Zara 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Well, like I said, every single English word ever uttered is an anachronism when it comes to the bible. There wasn't much point picking one word from the commandments over any other. That's why it was a funny thing to say. Nobody on here thinks the commandments were originally written in English.

It IS in use today. Phil just used it and so do bibles. If it wasn't we wouldn't know it's meaning. Elizabethan era plays too. And people in Wigan and other Northern places use it to this day in spoken English.

This post has been edited by Zara: 19 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

#34 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostZara, on 19 December 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Nobody on here thinks the commandments were originally written in English.

I wouldn't put money on this.

#35 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

It is an anachronism to use a word that is old, obsolete and no longer culturally used. Thats what anachronism means.

#36 User is offline   Zara 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

People in Northern England use 'thou' and 'thee' all the time. It's dying off but there's plenty of older people still using them. They aren't quoting Shakespeare or the bible. The two words are in regular usage. It's still in regular usage by anybody talking about the commandments, as Phil demonstrated.

This wasn't really the point I was making.

More that any English word used in quoting the bible is an anachronism, not just 'thou'.

Forget anachronism for a second, you also said Phil wasn't 'correct' in using the word. Even if it was an anachronism it doesn't mean that Phil can't use it. What should he use instead when talking about the commandments? Everyone uses 'thou' in that way, not 'you'. Also words fall out of usage and become anachronisms only to come back into use. There's nothing incorrect about using an anachronism even if that's what you think 'thou' is.

This post has been edited by Zara: 19 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

#37 User is offline   TheRobber 

• Cookie Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostSticky, on 19 December 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

View PostZara, on 19 December 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Nobody on here thinks the commandments were originally written in English.

I wouldn't put money on this.

I hope that is not pointing in my general direction there, sticky, as I know it was translated from another language to English. :P So you would of clearly lost your bet. LOL

I use thou in many of the sentences I write. :P

This post has been edited by TheRobber: 19 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

#38 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thou shall shut the fuck up.

#39 User is offline   TheRobber 

• Cookie Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostDrWu, on 19 December 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Thou shall shut the fuck up.

LOL.

I have a funny for thee.

So my niece was talking about how the school her children attends can't speak of the shooting incident. A friend of hers replies " they should support are student and talk to the about safety just in Cass this happens Agin it stupid to get penises for talking about it" Seriously, penises!! Although I know she clearly meant penalize. She had a huff about me correcting her spelling on that! Although there was many more then just that little gem. I guess I will go dig my claws into her more and say your whole sentence was a mess. :) LOL Ciao!

This post has been edited by TheRobber: 19 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

#40 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I always took an anachronism to be something or someone that was out of their time - like a HD TV in the 1920s.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users