Babblers Gaming Community: My Pal At Work Going For A Disciplinary - Babblers Gaming Community

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Pal At Work Going For A Disciplinary

#21 User is offline   Axey 

• Oooooh, nice drums :P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostDrWu, on 25 February 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Sounds great dave, but it sounds to me like they just want rid - I don't know the chap but maybe he is shit at his job, got a bad attitude - maybe they just have to cut costs and he was higher up the list than others. If they want rid, they will get rid.

Maybe, Aaron; call me old fashioned but they should do it properly. I'm not taking sides, but saying what should be done. Hell, if you asked for help and they'd caught you knicking a lorry load of Cat 5, I'd laugh and say sorry dude, bang to rights - as long they follow the process, it's a no brainer. No problem with people getting kicked out if they deserve it, but at least have the decency to do it without screwing it up.

*hops off the soapbox*

#22 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

My experience of people being promoted or moving up / sideways anyway is basically if you're a lass, have a nice smile, and big pair of tits you're in. I can rattle off a list of a dozen lasses at work who have less experience than fifty of their male counterparts and are genuinely shite at the jobs they've been into.

Admittedly it's nonsense made up positions to create political ease with our client due to to certain requirements and SLA's but still, why put someone in that position who will spend the next ten years getting up to speed? Baffles me. It may be in fact that no one with half a brain goes for those jobs as they can see them for the shit they are but still I have to wonder wtf the management are doing sometimes.

#23 User is offline   Zara 

• Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I Would tend to agree with Dev in some instances and Steve in others, but Phil said this guy was often late. No excuse for it. The best, sweetest manager in the world will end up sacking you for that. And from a personal perspective, nothing pisses me off more than lateness. It's just fucking rude, whatever the situation.

#24 User is offline   Zara 

• Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostKing Phil, on 28 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

My experience of people being promoted or moving up / sideways anyway is basically if you're a lass, have a nice smile, and big pair of tits you're in. I can rattle off a list of a dozen lasses at work who have less experience than fifty of their male counterparts and are genuinely shite at the jobs they've been into.

Admittedly it's nonsense made up positions to create political ease with our client due to to certain requirements and SLA's but still, why put someone in that position who will spend the next ten years getting up to speed? Baffles me. It may be in fact that no one with half a brain goes for those jobs as they can see them for the shit they are but still I have to wonder wtf the management are doing sometimes.

Hmmm. I'm having less and less sympathy for your mate, tbh, Phil.

#25 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Because of my opinions? Well, I just call a spade a spade. Nothing pisses me off more than jobs for jobs sake is all. If you're not making a tangible difference fuck off.

#26 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I haven't noticed any sexism in favour of women in the workplace, personally. Last time I checked, which was a while back, it was a fact that women have less top jobs, get fewer promotions and when they do it's for less money than the equivalent male.

#27 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostAxey, on 28 February 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Sounds great dave, but it sounds to me like they just want rid - I don't know the chap but maybe he is shit at his job, got a bad attitude - maybe they just have to cut costs and he was higher up the list than others. If they want rid, they will get rid.

Maybe, Aaron; call me old fashioned but they should do it properly. I'm not taking sides, but saying what should be done. Hell, if you asked for help and they'd caught you knicking a lorry load of Cat 5, I'd laugh and say sorry dude, bang to rights - as long they follow the process, it's a no brainer. No problem with people getting kicked out if they deserve it, but at least have the decency to do it without screwing it up.

*hops off the soapbox*

No, I agree that the process should be followed. I don't know the ins and outs of the situation so I cant comment on the validy of the getting rid situation, all I am saying is if they want rid they will get rid. The only thing up in the air is the amount of cash the chap gets through either redundancy\compromise or if they just get sacked. Sounds like a sacking to me.

#28 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

My personal take on what Steve is saying is that I agree that this is the way it should be, but it's not only not the way it is in the workplace (for the most part) it's not the way it is in society (for the most part). Unfortunately it's the way it is. Try and change it or accept it. I chose to accept it because I wan't the money. I know I have to work so I might as well make it as enjoyable as it can be for the most money as possible. I don't really see an argument against this. If you don't agree - get another job on less money or with different circumstances. You might as well argue about society at large - how people are judged on a constant level.

#29 User is offline   Axey 

• Oooooh, nice drums :P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostDrWu, on 28 February 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

View PostAxey, on 28 February 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

*hops off the soapbox*

No, I agree that the process should be followed. I don't know the ins and outs of the situation so I cant comment on the validy of the getting rid situation, all I am saying is if they want rid they will get rid. The only thing up in the air is the amount of cash the chap gets through either redundancy\compromise or if they just get sacked. Sounds like a sacking to me.

Indeed they will.

#30 User is offline   Sticky 

• crawling with idiot
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

There's no excuse for being late persistently. If you have to wake up fifteen minutes earlier, then wake up fifteen minutes earlier. Everyone else gets there on time, I don't care if you put the hours in after, showing up late constantly smacks of laziness.

#31 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostSticky, on 01 March 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

There's no excuse for being late persistently. If you have to wake up fifteen minutes earlier, then wake up fifteen minutes earlier. Everyone else gets there on time, I don't care if you put the hours in after, showing up late constantly smacks of laziness.

Not when you're up til 3-4am firefighting on call, or staying 2 hours behind voluntarily every night. Being 15 minutes late a couple of times a week really.. REALLY should be viewed with a little perspective...:-)

#32 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Having a later start if you were needed late at night on call is fairly standard.

Working late every night could either mean you are super dedicated OR it takes you 2 hours longer do do the same work everyone else did 9-5.

Why would they want rid of Phils mate if he was a slightly tardy but otherwise great employee. Could be some personal vendetta by someone, or some group, in the company. Or maybe hes not that great an employee, there are other issues, but they're picking the easiest reason as Wu suggested.

Either way, if they want you gone you're gone.

#33 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostDev, on 01 March 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Could be some personal vendetta by someone, or some group, in the company.

Precisely the kind of bullshit that has no place in the workplace. I know it exists, but I find the fact you can say that so casually without the slightest bad taste in your mouth incredibly disturbing.

I know you probably don't even agree with it yourself, but this whole "well that's how it is" nonsense.... Bollocks. Have any of you been watching the news lately? That woman who went to court vs the slave labour schemes implemented ought to be fucking celebrated and an inspiration for people not to take unnecessary shit.

#34 User is offline   Fat Wangkhar 

• Massive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Back in the real world... it sounds like he doesn't give a stuff, and no one wants him there. Why hasn't he walked already?

#35 User is offline   Fat Wangkhar 

• Massive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Back in the real world... it sounds like he doesn't give a stuff, and no one wants him there. Why hasn't he walked already?

#36 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostFat Wangkhar, on 01 March 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

What makes you say that? He's the best at what he does by a long shot and they do actually know it.

I said earlier he had a bad attitude but it's more a case of he says what he thinks and calls people on double standards etc. He doesn't play "the game". I do it to a lesser extent and get away with it for a few reasons - seniority and basically outshining everyone but even I only take it so far. He goes a few steps beyond and I really respect the bottle it takes to stick it to people when it's deserving. He's not shitty to them personally so much as the institution of office politics.

Anyway, he had his hearing today at work and after an hour no action is to be taken. They went over his sickness and lateness reasons, plus the fact he's been hospitalised for a good portion of his time off and said it shouldn't even have gone to disciplinary. Basically said sort yourself out and there's no problem.

View PostDrWu, on 28 February 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

I haven't noticed any sexism in favour of women in the workplace, personally. Last time I checked, which was a while back, it was a fact that women have less top jobs, get fewer promotions and when they do it's for less money than the equivalent male.

I didn't mean to imply this was true across the board so much as true in the office on my contract.

This post has been edited by King Phil: 01 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

#37 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Good outcome! :donatello:

#38 User is offline   Fat Wangkhar 

• Massive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Ah, fair enough. Way I read it sounded like he was miserable as fuck.

#39 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

:) Was nice to see a decent debate / chat for a change :D

#40 User is offline   TheRobster 

• Spammer Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Like old times!

No wait...haven't we always just slagged each other off and made pointless threads?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users