• 2 Pages +

Simcity anyone playing?

#1 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

It looks quite good but it's 65 on Origins

Anyone playing it though? The idea of being able to play in a region with your mates is quite interesting.

#2 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Babblers Head Admin

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Is this the one getting slated for requiring you to be online all the time but not having the servers to cope with that?

#3 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

The game is 65? Fucking hell!

#4 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostDrWu, on 09 March 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

The game is 65? Fuck that!

#5 User is offline   BillMillion 

• ;x :E :/ ;>
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Haha! NeoGeo times again.

#6 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostDev, on 09 March 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Is this the one getting slated for requiring you to be online all the time but not having the servers to cope with that?

Yeh but it's pretty much solved now I think. Nothing every MMO doesn't experience.

I got it - Limited Edition for 40 still mental expensive but tbh I was bored. Seems like it's fun. My first city burned to the ground :P

#7 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Its hardly solved...

Making a single player game Online Only is a retarded concept. I had high hopes for it, but at the price and the calamity of the launch, cant be bothered.

#8 User is offline   Zara 

• Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Will there be a hacked copy so you don't have to play online, to get round the copy protection? Because if there is, then the idea is ridiculous; punishing the people who pay while pirates will just get their hacked one to play offline.

This post has been edited by Zara: 10 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

#9 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

That's nothing new though they did that with ME3. It's typical EA.

Not sure if there's a hacked copy of it yet but probably will be - it's clever though it does not save your city locally at all. Someone will no doubt make a fake local cloud hack or some shit though.

As far as the huge problems logging in go I've played it every day since I got it and only had one issue for 30 mins where I couldn't get on.

Still a good game. The city space is a bit small though you run out of build space in a matter of hours and have to start increasing density. It doesn't give you that option to go for crazy ass builds because of this unless you play sandbox mode and cheat all the stuff in.

#10 User is offline   Dev 

• The One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostKing Phil, on 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

As far as the huge problems logging in go I've played it every day since I got it and only had one issue for 30 mins where I couldn't get on.

There were reports of it crapping out when you tried to save and logout. Imagine the nerd rage if you finish a 8 hr aession and it won't save onto their online servers...

#11 User is offline   Grumps 

• Amasching
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Apparantly you there's a rather silly limit to the size of your city. Fuck that, I want to create a metropole, not 10 mediocre cities that have to work together.

#12 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostDev, on 12 March 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostKing Phil, on 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

There were reports of it crapping out when you tried to save and logout. Imagine the nerd rage if you finish a 8 hr aession and it won't save onto their online servers...

It syncs every so often. My PC crapped out after a six hour session only lost ten mins.

Yeh size is a the deal breaker for me Grumps. Game breaking factor to be honest.

#13 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Zing - http://www.eurogamer...ne-indefinitely

#14 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I half expect a DLC that makes cities bigger after a month tbh.

#15 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

So no one is playing? No one fancies setting up a region?

#16 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

http://consumerist.c...ith-our-vision/

#17 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

It might be anecdotal, but seriously I don't know what the stink is about with people raging about always online. I've played this - a lot - and bought it in release week, yet I've only had 30 mins where I was queueing to get on - which actually took 10 mins.

I wholeheartedly hate EA and the way they operate and don't agree with the online requirements but it hasn't got in the way.

#18 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Its essentially a single player game with community elements though, its not an MMO and doesn't require other people to play with you to make it a game so why did they not allow a single player, offline mode?

It just means they can enforce DRM and ensure they scoop up more money through DLC's and in-game micro-transactions. The cluster-fuck of a release was bad enough, but forcing people to be always online so they can enforce control is pretty shitty. You've essentially paid 30+ to lease the game. If the servers are down or there's queues, you cant play. Forget wanting to play it on a flight/train or if your net connection dies.

Simcity was one game that was great to take away on work trips etc as you didn't need a net connection.

#19 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostJackfrost, on 16 March 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Its essentially a single player game with community elements though, its not an MMO and doesn't require other people to play with you to make it a game so why did they not allow a single player, offline mode?

It just means they can enforce DRM and ensure they scoop up more money through DLC's and in-game micro-transactions. The cluster-fuck of a release was bad enough, but forcing people to be always online so they can enforce control is pretty shitty. You've essentially paid £30+ to lease the game. If the servers are down or there's queues, you cant play. Forget wanting to play it on a flight/train or if your net connection dies.

Simcity was one game that was great to take away on work trips etc as you didn't need a net connection.

In answer to your question, it's DRM I'm not arguing that & it's a shitty thing to do. EA are a set of fucktards

But like I said, I've had a whole half hour once when there was a problem. Do you have the game? What are your experiences at playing it? If my experience is typical then there's no problem, and to be fair the game is pretty good. City size is a fucker, but you know what as your region gets more advanced you can get clever with it. I quite like it now. I can even see their reason for the multiplayer angle - cities in a region do affect each other it's quite interesting.

This post has been edited by King Phil: 17 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

#20 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

I don't, but I will when it drops in price a bit.

The two people I work with who have it, one spent a day or two not being able to get on at all and has had a few hours where hes not been able to access the game. He also lost an entire city for some reason. The other had similar problems with queues and had a load of issues getting back to his cities, so hes rebuilt from scratch several times.

Its just a mess, what should have been an easy money maker for EA/Maxis has forced loads of people to just not bother. When i saw simcity 4/5 months ago i was basically sold on a 3 minute trailer and it made me re-install simcity 4 again, but with the always online and sham of a release its put me off being in it from the start. I'll wait till the price drops and/or offline mode makes it into the game in some form.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users