Babblers Gaming Community: Combining 2 Wifi Networks - Babblers Gaming Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Combining 2 Wifi Networks Possible?

#1 User is offline   N1KE 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Afternoon all,

I live in an apartment rented out via a hotel, this hotel has 2 wifi networks that they're fine with me using.

Simply, is there an easy way for me to combine both to use at the same time, doubling my speed if I went out and got a USB wifi receiver?

I don't have access to the hardware, but i'm hoping windows 8 or 3rd party software can do something clever?

#2 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Combining two independent WiFi signals on two internet connections together at point of use? No way I'd have thought.

#3 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

I know you can bond two connections together, whether you can combine two separate WiFi networks as they'll operate on different subnets and the gateways would be different.

You could probably split traffic across them though, so play games on one and download on another.

This post has been edited by Jackfrost: 18 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

#4 User is offline   snafu 

• Sigh. YOU ARE AN E-TOWNIE.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostN1KE, on 17 July 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Afternoon all,

I live in an apartment rented out via a hotel, this hotel has 2 wifi networks that they're fine with me using.

Simply, is there an easy way for me to combine both to use at the same time, doubling my speed if I went out and got a USB wifi receiver?

I don't have access to the hardware, but i'm hoping windows 8 or 3rd party software can do something clever?

In short: No.

First, they're probably two different internet connections which means you're going to have two seperate IPs.

The most you could do would be to do what Jackfrost has said - split your traffic across them. But you'd need to set up your own routing rules and such to do this.

Lots of arsing about though. There is no 'easy way'. If you were serious about this sort of thing, hacking a wireless router and using openWRT or something to set up a bridge to each and then setting up routing tables and whatnot to send traffic out via different gateways blah blah blah.

In short: No.

#5 User is offline   N1KE 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Cheers guys.

If I was to buy another wireless receiver is it simple to assign, say for example, utorrent to one connection and everything else to another? Or is it really just not worth the bother even doing that

#6 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

You could do that yes. Would it be worth it? Probably not, unless you were really needing a big connection. Just wait a bit longer for your shit?

#7 User is offline   Jackfrost 

• Hi! I'm Mark Doyle!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Schedule your downloads and use a single connection or get a raspberry PI, spare PC/laptop or similar and shove that on the second network.

#8 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostN1KE, on 19 July 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Cheers guys.

If I was to buy another wireless receiver is it simple to assign, say for example, utorrent to one connection and everything else to another? Or is it really just not worth the bother even doing that

Without sounding like a dick, if you have to ask "is it simple" - the answer is still no.

Especially within Windows. If you were comfortable enough in Linux, it wouldn't take you long to figure out how to do what you're asking and put policies in place to do precisely what it is you're after. Windows likes to make a lot of decisions for you and although it's doable, it just requires you to understand what these quirks are and to be honest, this isn't something you're gonna learn and fully grasp within a short period of time.

Not that I want to discourage you, because I think it's quite an educational exercise to be doing this sort of thing. You can learn a lot from breaking in to nearby WEP enabled networks using aircrack and then setting up all your 'naughty stuff' over another connection. But I think this is a little beyond the scope of what you're asking and well.. you're not really looking to do it for educational reasons from what I can tell.

The real point to take from this, is that if you have to ask how to do this... you're probably not ready to do it. So yes, I'm calling you a clueless numpty in the hopes that:

* It pisses you off enough to the point where you want to prove me wrong
* You realise that what you're asking is possible with effort
* You download and burn a LiveCD ISO and start teaching yourself how!

Good luck! :)

#9 User is offline   N1KE 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Bollocks to that, it's purely because it's there i was tempted; if it was just something needed slipping in USB etc. Not a big one for effort or patience with these things anymore

Ta anyway :donatello:

#10 User is offline   snafu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yeah I know... Sadly, very few things like that are actually easy without sufficient know how.

If they were, we'd have an internet full of kids running downloading apps and pushing single buttons to cause disruption to peoples websites and services.

...wait, what?

#11 User is offline   Earthy 

• Silly Person!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

yes and no but im sure its yes and not no

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic