Babblers Gaming Community: Windows Vs Osx For The Sysadmin! - Babblers Gaming Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Vs Osx For The Sysadmin!

#21 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostDrWu, on 06 November 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

How can you actually justify the extra cost for a macbook in the working environment unless there is a specific thing you need to do on it?

SRS QUESTION.

As Jack says, there's usually not much in it on a comparative spec. The build quality seems a better than Dell, HP etc - maybe simply because of the metal case. I think OSx tends to get better mileage out of the hardware than Windows on an equivalent spec (Running Ubuntu, or other Linux, on the same spec I'd feel different about). The Operating system mileage issue is possibly greater now that Apple are providing major OS updates for free (likely a direct and conscious threat to M/S).

I'm don't fall into the anti Windows camp but would prefer to be using Linux or OSx before Windows - for me that's the greater issue. I like the MacBook because it's hassle free and I'm at that stage of my life having titted about with technology all my life. It's no longer a huge excitement for me, I just want it to work.

#22 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Registered

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

I suppose my question should have been how do you justify spending so much on a laptop in work, as opposed to a specific manufacturer. Surely a grand is a lot of money for what 99% of people need?

#23 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostDrWu, on 07 November 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I suppose my question should have been how do you justify spending so much on a laptop in work, as opposed to a specific manufacturer. Surely a grand is a lot of money for what 99% of people need?

It would be as a policy for everyone. It's been quite useful where I work for mobile senior managers and for those in other countries (Europe and China), with ability to drop into an Apple store for support and the likelihood of less problems, the overall cost of ownership is arguably lower. This isn't a particularly scientific study but we gave them to 8 people in the above categories and have had literally zero problems.

But there's always a way to do anything pretty much on all of the main platforms and manufacturers. Dell, for example, have been useful with their global warranties and have gone to people's homes and offices, in other countries, to fix laptops.

Interesting what they've done with the free OS though, theoretically that would remove the issue we have with MS now where we have to replace loads of XP installations before support's withdrawn. Might make Mac Minis appealing for mass roll out. It's hard to see MS making Windows free but maybe they'll have to give it serious thought.

#24 User is offline   DrWu 

• The Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

So what you're saying is that the Apple OS inherently presents fewer problems to users than Windows 8/7? I find that hard to believe. Windows is brill these days. I'm sure they both are, but the macbooks are about twice the price. Twice the performance maybe, but people don't need that performance. What Frost was saying is cool and all, VMware and all that - its all so easy man, just install this, configure that, roll this out. But in reality for some businesses its not that easy. Having said that, putting a real cost on stuff is really hard. When everything comes down to a figure then you surely cant justify macs for everyone, but then like you say - if people are just happier with something, that leads to less helpdesk calls, less cost in terms of support. How to justify that though for a business is tough.

It seems to me that there is no reason to actively go for apple, but there are reasons it might not be a massive hassle through mitigation. Again, I come down to the cost - might be fine when you're buying 5 of them - what's the difference between a standard business laptop, 400 ish? Not a big deal, but if you're buying 100s of them the cost of the hardware is a big deal.

One thing ive not understood is - can you control them via GPO and set policy etc? No doubt you can, but there must be some reason most businesses aren't adopting them as their standard?

Im not against them in general, just trying to understand how realistic they are.

#25 User is offline   Goatfacekillah 

• Model600
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostDrWu, on 08 November 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

So what you're saying is that the Apple OS inherently presents fewer problems to users than Windows 8/7? I find that hard to believe. Windows is brill these days. I'm sure they both are, but the macbooks are about twice the price. Twice the performance maybe, but people don't need that performance. What Frost was saying is cool and all, VMware and all that - its all so easy man, just install this, configure that, roll this out. But in reality for some businesses its not that easy. Having said that, putting a real cost on stuff is really hard. When everything comes down to a figure then you surely cant justify macs for everyone, but then like you say - if people are just happier with something, that leads to less helpdesk calls, less cost in terms of support. How to justify that though for a business is tough.

It seems to me that there is no reason to actively go for apple, but there are reasons it might not be a massive hassle through mitigation. Again, I come down to the cost - might be fine when you're buying 5 of them - what's the difference between a standard business laptop, 400 ish? Not a big deal, but if you're buying 100s of them the cost of the hardware is a big deal.

One thing ive not understood is - can you control them via GPO and set policy etc? No doubt you can, but there must be some reason most businesses aren't adopting them as their standard?

Im not against them in general, just trying to understand how realistic they are.

No, not really. I meant the whole package, OS and hardware together have presented fewer problems. We tend to have regular issues with Dell, HP and Lenovo laptops versus Macbooks; probably mainly hardware but wouldn't know without investigation. But then there's more of the latter so isn't statically reliable. I know Windows is better these days - well I read and hear as much anyway. I still prefer something Unix based and would say that is 'better' but I know it's improving and I don't have anything against it. Presumably the need (or desire) to reload due to performance degradation has gone? When I was using Windows that was the main thing that bugged me - it wasn't so much with my computers, more other people's.

The users we have with the Macbooks are notable in that none of them are techie at all - in fact they all fall into the other end of the spectrum, including people in their 60s. I do think that's something that Apple pioneered in UI; same with the iPhone and iPad.

But no, its too expensive to justify to everyone. The Mac mini, coupled with the free OS updates, is possibly an interesting proposition - you might get longer out of a business desktop that way. Still pricey though.

You can manage them via AD with an Apple appliance that talks to AD - other ways too of course.

#26 User is offline   Earthy 

• Silly Person!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

OSx sucks arse burgers, Windows is slightly better,

#27 User is offline   King Phil 

• Ye Olde Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/k2StzFf.jpg